cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 3 of 223 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree660Likes

Thread: ***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    They’re playing at the WACA. So same ol I guess.

International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Roadish. Cameron Bancroft recently made 500 runs there.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Ben Stokes to ton up

Bring Stokesy in, drop the weird headbutting rugby bloke for Foakes, and we can finally get the dream rhyming 6-8.
    zorax likes this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Bring Stokesy in, drop the weird headbutting rugby bloke for Foakes, and we can finally get the dream rhyming 6-8.
    Moeen ****s with this though.

Cow
    Banned
    VOLCANO UPDATE.

I've studied the data and looked at the prevailing winds and it appears that the Gunung Agung eruption on the Indonesian island of Bali will not affect conditions at the Adelaide Oval. This is another piece of good fortune for the Australians as Jimmy Anderson is considered to be unplayable under the warm yet overcast conditions of a volcanic cloud.
    harsh.ag, vogue and zorax like this.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    Craig Overton in for Ball please.
    Will that change anything? Is Overton really all that much better than Ball? At least Ball has some international experience.

The real issue is England's bating continuously under performing. The top order in particular. We need big stands from Cook and Stoneman and later, Vince, Malan and Root.

International Captain Starfighter's Avatar
    Does international experience really matter if it's all ****? **** is **** and Overton at least has a chance of being better. It can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    inb4 Australia bat first and score 700.
    Batting at night is tough so I wouldn't expect big scores

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by oblongballs View Post
    Will that change anything? Is Overton really all that much better than Ball? At least Ball has some international experience.

The real issue is England's bating continuously under performing. The top order in particular. We need big stands from Cook and Stoneman and later, Vince, Malan and Root.
    It doesn't matter, we know Ball is naff at international level, and one of our biggest problems in the most recent test is being unable to sustain pressure on Australia, particularily when it looked like Anderson might be injured so Root was (incorrectly) saving Broad and over bowled Woakes and Ball. Also Overton can actually hold a bat unlike Ball so helps lengthen our tail a little bit.

We've tried lots and lots and lots of various bats over the years and at least Stoneman, Vince and Malan actually stood up and made some runs in the first innings so deserve another chance IMO, and the only way we're going to be able to confidently say we're going to be able ot strenthen our batting is bringing Stokes back in for Ball so our batting line up is as follows;

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Malan
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

But we all know that this isn't going to happen so it's stupid.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    As you say Groundking, this is going to happen, at least not yet anyway. But what a difference Stokes makes to the batting and bowling should he return at any point. What has been our strength in recent times once again looks daunting for the opposition with Stokes, Bairstow, Moeen and Woakes batting from six to nine.

Throw in Stokes' aggression with the ball and his ability to hoop it if conditions are right, and the bonus of his outstanding fielding. But this isn't anything new that we don't know and he's only himself to blame.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Yep, Overton in for Ball is basically all we can do. Kind of got missed with the whole Stokes thing but it is a real shame Roland-Jones got injured.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Does international experience really matter if it's all ****? **** is **** and Overton at least has a chance of being better. It can't hurt.
    I agree, it can't hurt but I don't like a 1 test and done approach. I'm not sure if Overton brings anything Ball does...is he really that much quicker? They both have similar FC stats and performances from what I've seen. It still boggles my mind Porter didn't get a step in the squad. England's own fault for bringing the wrong guys along.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    It doesn't matter, we know Ball is naff at international level, and one of our biggest problems in the most recent test is being unable to sustain pressure on Australia, particularily when it looked like Anderson might be injured so Root was (incorrectly) saving Broad and over bowled Woakes and Ball. Also Overton can actually hold a bat unlike Ball so helps lengthen our tail a little bit.

We've tried lots and lots and lots of various bats over the years and at least Stoneman, Vince and Malan actually stood up and made some runs in the first innings so deserve another chance IMO, and the only way we're going to be able to confidently say we're going to be able ot strenthen our batting is bringing Stokes back in for Ball so our batting line up is as follows;

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Malan
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

But we all know that this isn't going to happen so it's stupid.
    I just can not condone a Stokes return while investigations are still ongoing. Plus he hasn't been particularly good with the ball of late apart from a couple of spells. We don't need bowlers who can get a good spell, we need bowlers that can ball long and consistently world class. I guess he helps out with the batting but no more or less than Ali tbh.

I agree about the newbies doing OK but again, 3 batsmen doing OK does not win tests and they were all absent second time round. However, there is something to build on, as long as England play Lyons better than they did before AND are not rash in trying to score big shots.

Quote Originally Posted by oblongballs View Post
    I agree, it can't hurt but I don't like a 1 test and done approach. I'm not sure if Overton brings anything Ball does...is he really that much quicker? They both have similar FC stats and performances from what I've seen. It still boggles my mind Porter didn't get a step in the squad. England's own fault for bringing the wrong guys along.

I just can not condone a Stokes return while investigations are still ongoing. Plus he hasn't been particularly good with the ball of late apart from a couple of spells. We don't need bowlers who can get a good spell, we need bowlers that can ball long and consistently world class. I guess he helps out with the batting but no more or less than Ali tbh.

I agree about the newbies doing OK but again, 3 batsmen doing OK does not win tests and they were all absent second time round. However, there is something to build on, as long as England play Lyons better than they did before AND are not rash in trying to score big shots.
    I don't disagree, but if Stokes were to hypothetically replace Ball, he'd still be quite a bit better wrt bowling and would be a huge upgrade on batting. Throw in the fielding and Stokes in for Ball would improve the team massively, if it happened.

I would also expect Overton to be a step up overall, if only with the bat
    Last edited by Bijed; 28-11-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

Cricketer Of The Year
    4am start for an Ashes Test is a world gone mad.

Page 3 of 223 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information