• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Aye I remember it well. CW went nuclear at him being dropped for Watson. Watson did okay that series tbf but it was a sign of things to come for Aussie selection over the following year or two really, wasn’t it?

Edit - Watson did okay with the bat, anyway. Was barely decent cover with the ball, remember him bowling some mighty fine pies to Freddie (:wub:) at Edgbaston
Having a 5th bowler in the team may have given McGrath an extra 18 months. Ali has probably given Anderson and Broad an extra couple of years. Top bowlers don't come around that often and quite a few have been flogged in a 4 man attack and not enjoyed the length of career they could have enjoyed. Always felt Watson was a decent bat in home tests but never quite got to grips with the moving ball.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If we had rolled Englands tail over it would have made sense to enforce the follow on. The previous evenings didn't do much under lights and batting conditions didn't seem tough so I think the decision to bat again was fine

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we had rolled Englands tail over it would have made sense to enforce the follow on. The previous evenings didn't do much under lights and batting conditions didn't seem tough so I think the decision to bat again was fine
Yeah this is fair. The ease with which Woakes and Overton batted would have surely removed any temptation, had there been any to begin with

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s hopefully a situation which will make Australia re-think it’s ott short ball approach to the tail. If they roll them earlier they could have had two set batsmen come the night session and been another 40 odd to the good, with the game basically done.

As it is, unless Australia is rolled for around 100-120, I think it’s done anyways.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
That Pink Ball match last year where Pak almost chased 500. Was that Brisbane or Adelaide?

Last edited:

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Cheers lads. There goes the small sliver of hope.

On we march back to the doldrums that was 90's English cricket.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Typically a lot happens quickly at the back end of Adelaide tests and you dont expect large chases or batting out 5 sessions for a draw.......though iirc the Saffers did pull of a long blockathon a few years ago.

Even if we skittle the Aussies for 100 it would be foolish to think we'll then go score 300 to win. Aussies have got this.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
dunno if this has already been posted, but this was some fine work from someone with too much time on their hands

[video]https://streamable.com/wbsd0[/video]

Shady Slim

International Coach
i have to say i don't mind craig overton at all

he looks a lot like a large eli manning as well so that lends itself to a hearty chortle

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It’s hopefully a situation which will make Australia re-think it’s ott short ball approach to the tail. If they roll them earlier they could have had two set batsmen come the night session and been another 40 odd to the good, with the game basically done.

As it is, unless Australia is rolled for around 100-120, I think it’s done anyways.
The short ball was obviously unsettling them but they should have realised it would be the fullish ball that would complete the job