• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Coloured kits for Tests!

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the one-dayers were played in all white during the first season. It was only when the white ball was introduced in the second season (which coincided with first D/N cricket) that colored clothing became a thing.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the one-dayers were played in all white during the first season. It was only when the white ball was introduced in the second season (which coincided with first D/N cricket) that colored clothing became a thing.
You're probably correct. I just knew they played with coloured clothing at some stage. According to Michael Holding on Fire in Babylon the West Indies got called by the opposing team - well you can imagine? There is a funny scene in Howzat! Kerry Packer's War, the television series, when the West Indies arrive before the other players in their pink clothing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think we'd have probably seen a move to this already if not for the fact that they'd clash with the red ball, and the fact that the white ball doesn't last long enough.

cnerd123

likes this
Pink Ball is the future IMO

White clothing with coloured caps/lining looks so good anyways. Don't know why you would change it. Feels very fitting for multiday cricket

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Whites are so good. Miss the days in club cricket when we wore all white, and I despise the coloured panels they've bought in on the flanks of shirts, and on the sleeves. Plus all the sponsor crap printed on the clothes.

And gtfo with the peaked baseball caps too, even in club colours (worse if it's not even a club related cap). Club "baggy green style" cap, Greg Chappell broad brim, or gtfo.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Not to mention the fact that there have been some abominations among the coloured strips, none more so than the current England Twenty20 shirt!

Cow

Banned
There needs to be a demerit system for aesthetics of technique for top order batsmen. The spirit and traditions of the game need to be looked after.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Aren't their colours anyway? England often have a bright white kit while Australia often have a dirty, creamy "white" kit. So why not just go the whole hog.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
England often have a bright white kit while Australia often have a dirty, creamy "white" kit.
Well, if you look close enough, you can see that Ted Dexter here in 1956 is going for the cream trousers and white shirt combo which used to be common:

(Jim Parks has gone for all cream meanwhile)

And, well, can't you see...

It's practically multicoloured!!!

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Yes, because club logos were never on jumpers before coloured clothing was introduced or something.

Basically, 'well, they're so different anyway...' is a ludicrous argument.

Last edited: