• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Commentary Complaints Thread

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
The constant use of the word "bunt". For no other reason than it's been used to describe different things........ do the Comms think its cool because its a.baseball term? Like they would use "pinch hitter" a couple of years ago whenever batsmen were elevated in the order.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The constant use of the word "bunt". For no other reason than it's been used to describe different things........ do the Comms think its cool because its a.baseball term? Like they would use "pinch hitter" a couple of years ago whenever batsmen were elevated in the order.
"pinch hitter" has been used in cricket to describe exactly that for decades. Longer than I've been alive at least.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough. The point is the baseball term and the cricket term have some symmetry. "

"Bunt" otoh has a specific meaning in baseball which should negate its use in cricket. As a baseballer this offends my person.

Midwinter

State Captain
Just watched some of the coverage for the first time.

The advert C9 is running for " The Ashes-The Forged in Fire" should cause them to be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

TheJediBrah

I'd love to hear KP's logic behind saying that winning the game tonight would be good for Australia because it gives their bowlers an extra day off, given that they've already bowled both innings

OverratedSanity

I think he must have had 2 goes at it then. Yesterday afternoon he was doing a stint with Slats.........said something about what a great place Brisbane is and how there is so much to do......like sit in your hotel room and watch telly. Then he mentioned planes flying over and how they were the lucky ones or some such ****.
That seems kind of tame tbqh

He's a annoying prick though,no doubt

Spark

Global Moderator
"Bunt" is fair enough for that little nudge behind point IMO where you deliberately dead-bat it for a single.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry if it’s been mentioned already but those KP clips leading into the ad breaks are an abomination

Glad to hear that he thinks winning the Ashes is one thing but performing well in them is something else though

Also good to discover he was more motivated to play well if his family were in the stands

Absolute whopper

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think the thing with KP is he brings literally nothing to the table in terms of interesting game analysis or special comment, as well as being a flat out annoying ****.

You have to be one of the following: entertaining or insightful. The better commentators are both.

KP is so far from either that it's a waste of time him being there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warne is really getting on my nerves too, with his ridiculous calls for more aggression.

Like if Hazelwood has bowled 2 or 3 maidens, Warne's counsel would be "fire in a bit of short stuff, get aggressive, see if he likes it under the ribs or on the chin blah blah etc etc".

It's like he in particular, and most of them collectively, have forgotten how to play and win test cricket. And in addition, they have no respect for how Hazelwood actually plies his craft.

So aggravating.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd think having played with McGrath for so many years Warne might at least have an inkling of the importance of maintaining a good line and length and piling on the maidens and forcing the batsmen to make mistakes. He really does live in his own not-so-little bubble.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Has anybody mentioned the Triple M radio comms yet? **** me it takes the cake for all new levels of awful. Seriously impressive line-up on paper, but it's absolutely ****ing terrible in practice.

Yesterday Brayshaw was rambling on about Joe DiMaggio, today he did the whole "In 40 years my dad and I saw one concussion in cricket, how have we had 15 in the past two years?" thing. Then this afternoon he rambled on about mullets with Waugh and Gillespie for the better part of half an hour.

Throw in the really forced double entendres and the even more forced advertisements about four times an over (apparently it took 35 minutes for us to get a "Gillette Close Moment, because close matters" today), and it's terrible. Absolute waste of the likes of Gilchrist and Guha in that box.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne is really getting on my nerves too, with his ridiculous calls for more aggression.

Like if Hazelwood has bowled 2 or 3 maidens, Warne's counsel would be "fire in a bit of short stuff, get aggressive, see if he likes it under the ribs or on the chin blah blah etc etc".

It's like he in particular, and most of them collectively, have forgotten how to play and win test cricket. And in addition, they have no respect for how Hazelwood actually plies his craft.

So aggravating.
He's just a media whore who is using the comms box to keep alive this myth that he's the greatest test captain Australia never had. Just like KP is using this opportunity to have a dig at the English cricketing establishment and remind the viewers he'd be out there today if it wasn't for everyone else but himself.

Both out of the same rotten barrel.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

So aggravating.
I reckon Taylor would be so much better if he wasn't surrounded by these idiots.

Slats needs to be put out to pasture. The constant giggling after every joke he makes is awful

I can't remember who wrote the article, but you see a lot of these guys just trying to mention themselves as much as possible. A reminder that they too once upon a time played and it's just cringeworthy

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yesterday Brayshaw was rambling on about Joe DiMaggio, today he did the whole "In 40 years my dad and I saw one concussion in cricket, how have we had 15 in the past two years?" thing. .
What did he end up blaming, helmets or the short-form of the game?

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Always thought Brayshaw was a poor mans Deano -- both on the cricket field and in the Comm box. Whereas Deano had a decent career as a cricketer, his commentary was a bit like open mic hour at the Comedy Club.,....which tells you how little I think of James.