• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Commentary Complaints Thread

burr

State Vice-Captain
Interesting article by Jarrod Kimber on his time with ABC Grandstand radio. I fully agree with his depiction of why ABC's coverage went downhill; it's loss of Lane, Roebuck & Kerry (was a bit meh on Glenn Mitchell) they haven't really recovered from.

Perhaps unintentionally, but Kimber's account in dealing with management suggests the ABC is an organisation stifled by far too many managers and bureaucracy to function as effectively as it should and sort of reinforces the negative stereotypes that it's overstaffed in management because it's a government organisation.
That's a great article, thanks for the link. It's so sad what's become of ABC cricket, starting with the resignation of Tim Lane. They really should just look to the BBC, they have a superb and relevant model there to learn from and tailor to Australian sensibilities.

Cow

Banned
Considering his learning difficulties and educational handicaps, I am very surprised Cricket Australia have allowed David Warner to continue to have a Twitter account while he is playing for Australia.

I understand it's a difficult situation, especially in the current climate of political correctness.

Spark

Global Moderator
We've just had an entire competed over from Broad which the ABC grandstand commentators thought was bowled by Curran...

Mind you, they are probably more interested in this genuinely interesting discussion on salary cap manipulation in the BBL

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gatt in the commentary box here to give Warne and Healy a very rare chance to talk about a fairly little-known ball bowled in 1993.

TNT

Banned
Thats how Australia used to win matches, having Gilly come out and smash the ball around served two purposes. It demoralised the opposition and gave the team enough time to win the match. All Cook and Broad did was to give the impression to the Australian batsmen that if they didn't do anything stupid they could just meander to an easy draw. You have to take the game on to win in those situations and playing safe is basically just going to give you a draw.
Spark you have given me an infraction for this post, can you explain why, I just cant see where I have posted anything that would incur an infraction. I cant find any other way to find out so I have posted it here and hope you can inform me what was the problem.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Heard on the radio Greg Matthews now suggest that if Root came back he should be allowed a runner. Is it too much for commentators to know the current rules of the game?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
One mercy now that the series is over is having a break from Jonathan Norcross on TMS talking about "Blighty". My God, that wound me up.

Anyway not sure where else to post this, but well played Australia. Not a ridiculously lop-sided series like 13/14, but a thorough beating all the same.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Interesting article by Jarrod Kimber on his time with ABC Grandstand radio. I fully agree with his depiction of why ABC's coverage went downhill; it's loss of Lane, Roebuck & Kerry (was a bit meh on Glenn Mitchell) they haven't really recovered from.

Perhaps unintentionally, but Kimber's account in dealing with management suggests the ABC is an organisation stifled by far too many managers and bureaucracy to function as effectively as it should and sort of reinforces the negative stereotypes that it's overstaffed in management because it's a government organisation.
Interesting reaction to it on twitter too...

"Brad McNamara @bbuzzmc Jan 3
Wasted 5 minutes of my life reading yet more dribble today out of the family of self appointed Cricket broadcast and commentary experts. Geez, what chance ABC Cricket with this dope as a ‘consultant’? Really does explain a fair bit #nfi
2 replies 1 retweet 5 likes"

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pietersen is getting to the point of making me want to get up and smash the TV. I fear that he's going to become one of these permanent fixtures (like a replacement Greig), one that'll appeal to the main C9 demographic that are too pissed to ever notice.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Must admit that while he has some irritating aspects to his commentary, I don’t mind KP that much. He can make some interesting points (mainly in the pre-match or post-match discussion) and is at least a change from the groupthink that usually prevails on 9.

Certainly rather listen to him than Clarke and his sycophantic fanboy nonsense. Hilarious when he was saying around the 42nd over or so of Oz’s chase that Paine/Stoinis going at a run-a-ball over the next few overs would leave them well-placed for the closing stages.