• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Web Podcast #35 - Actual Ashes Preview Edition

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Charles Davis looked at the 'declare to give a few overs at the end of the day' strategy and found that there wasn't really a strong trend in either direction - the chance of a wicket was slightly raised for 3-4 overs but lowered for 5-6, probably due to small sample error.

I think it's something done more to seem 'positive' and try assert psychological pressure (which, statistically, doesn't work) rather than through actual merit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointing that in all the keeper discussion there was no mention of #Bertmentum.

Enjoying Spark losing his **** at the SMarsh selection.

vcs

Was Mike Whitney that bad? I remember him bowling well against India in '92. No clue how he went against England.

SillyCowCorner1

Nice work guys. I love the concept of triangular T20Is; double-headers.

Also, I was thinking about a triangular test series being something new in countries where the market is huge (India, England, Australia).

Will post more in detail as I get to the end of the podcast. :)

Burgey

Was Mike Whitney that bad? I remember him bowling well against India in '92. No clue how he went against England.
Not so much a dud eleven as one of Ashes boosters/ bizarre selections. Whitney in 81 was playing League cricket in England and got called up.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Whitney bowled 44 overs, 4/124 in the 5th test and 32 overs, 1/122 in the 6th test in '81, which I wouldn't put down as terrible; more his selection circumstances qualifying him here.

As for Wally Edwards, here will do. Didn't even remember that Larkins played against us.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Thing is with Borthwick, he was brought in as a leg-spinner and not a batsman. In 2013, the season before his England call-up, he scored 1121 runs at 41.51 as a number three and took 34 wickets at 33.52 ave. In 2014 and 2015 that batting ave had climbed up to around 44 (all 1000 plus run seasons) but his bowling had, if anything, gotten worse (58.61 in 2016!). He also averaged 46.84 with bat for Wellington.

A convincing case that Borthwick should have been brought in as an upper order batsmen can be certainly made, at any point 2013 - 2016, but not as a number nine leggy, where he still took four wickets as memory served (albeit expensively).

England basically chose a part-time/bits and pieces man for their main spinner (albeit a player with all-rounder aspirations)! A sign of their muddled thinking at the time?

And yes, since his move to Surrey his form has plummeted.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
There is a trend concerning Durham and criminality! A week after the Stokes thing, Burnham got banned for snorting coke.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Also, if you want to give us a leg up, spread this one around a bit, or give us an itunes review. I know there are plenty of people who become interested in cricket around the beginning of an Ashes series.