• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How will England approach Lyon ?

cnerd123

likes this
Nah from what I saw they were just lucky they didn't edge/bat/bad a few with that negative intent. Continuing that approach throughout the series is just playing into Lyon's hands.
what happened to you not wanting to speak to me anymore

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fairs fair. He bowled bloody well. The bounce ****ed England over. Couldn’t really cut with much confidence, and he mixed up his pace really well.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I don’t agree that we played him badly at all, I thought he bowled very well with minimal loose deliveries. Yes if we are maybe more proactive going forward we can disrupt him more and put him off his areas, but it wasn’t like a day one pitch with the amount of turn on show.

Woodster

International Captain
I do enjoy listening to KP when he used to talk about how he goes about batting, etc, but I don’t agree when he said he’d prefer Lyon to have figures of 3-70 on the first day rather than 0-40. Wickets in the shed, 20+ overs in the legs of the three quicks, and a chance to be more expansive at some stage on day two.

Daemon

I do enjoy listening to KP when he used to talk about how he goes about batting, etc, but I don’t agree when he said he’d prefer Lyon to have figures of 3-70 on the first day rather than 0-40. Wickets in the shed, 20+ overs in the legs of the three quicks, and a chance to be more expansive at some stage on day two.
Are you sure he didn't mean that from an Australian POV? Slightly insane to want an opposition bowler to have 3-70 as opposed to 0-40..

Woodster

International Captain
Are you sure he didn't mean that from an Australian POV? Slightly insane to want an opposition bowler to have 3-70 as opposed to 0-40..
I don’t think he meant it from an Aussie POV, based on the content of the other stuff he was saying like how England had missed a trick by allowing a spinner to finish with figures of 0-40 on the first day of a Test. He went on to say you need to take chances as a batsman and you’re career is effectively defined, as an Englishman, by how you do in Ashes cricket and for that you need to take risks.

TheJediBrah

I don’t think he meant it from an Aussie POV, based on the content of the other stuff he was saying like how England had missed a trick by allowing a spinner to finish with figures of 0-40 on the first day of a Test. He went on to say you need to take chances as a batsman and you’re career is effectively defined, as an Englishman, by how you do in Ashes cricket and for that you need to take risks.
He probably didn't mean that he'd rather the opposition spinner have 3-70, but more so that if he did have 3-70 then you've shown the positive intent that could have lead to dominating him and ending up with 1-100 or something similar. Whereas if you're playing him overly defensively then 0-40 is your best outcome and at worst you could still lose a few wickets to him.

Woodster

International Captain
He probably didn't mean that he'd rather the opposition spinner have 3-70, but more so that if he did have 3-70 then you've shown the positive intent that could have lead to dominating him and ending up with 1-100 or something similar. Whereas if you're playing him overly defensively then 0-40 is your best outcome and at worst you could still lose a few wickets to him.
He meant as an ‘Englishman’ he would have preferred to see Lyon take 3-70 rather than 0-40.

TheJediBrah

He meant as an ‘Englishman’ he would have preferred to see Lyon take 3-70 rather than 0-40.
He probably didn't mean that he'd rather the opposition spinner have 3-70, but more so that if he did have 3-70 then you've shown the positive intent that could have lead to dominating him and ending up with 1-100 or something similar. Whereas if you're playing him overly defensively then 0-40 is your best outcome and at worst you could still lose a few wickets to him

Spark

Global Moderator
The thing is that it's not a coin flip between the possible best and worst outcome though. 0/40 may not feel amazing having played defensively, but it's much more likely than 3/70 playing attacking.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Stand static at your crease like a plank and be nicked off to slips is clearly their main plan in ''approaching Lyon''. Stoneman for instance plays spin well; he sweeps - he is a prolific sweeper: you wouldn't have thought it, would you?

I have a premonition of Lyon picking up the man of the series at the SCG.

cnerd123

likes this
I tuned in on Sunday to catch some of the action, and saw a montage playing of English batsmen smacking Lyon around with KP praising the way they've played him and saying that's what they've got to keep doing

It then returned to the action and England were 150/5 with Lyon having 3/60

Jfc.

Spark

Global Moderator
I tuned in on Sunday to catch some of the action, and saw a montage playing of English batsmen smacking Lyon around with KP praising the way they've played him and saying that's what they've got to keep doing

It then returned to the action and England were 150/5 with Lyon having 3/60

Jfc.
To be fair, that period where Bairstow and Ali attacked Lyon was the only time in the match he didn't look as threatening

Woodster

International Captain
To be fair, that period where Bairstow and Ali attacked Lyon was the only time in the match he didn't look as threatening
And to be fair they're the only two batsmen that can play that way and put that kind of pressure back onto Lyon, the others will certainly play him more conservatively.

Woodster

International Captain
Vindicated.
Absolutely, but they also probably didn't expect that amount of turn on the opening day of the Test. Be interesting to see if things aren't as favourable for Lyon under lights at Adelaide whether we will have constructed an alternative gameplan.