• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How will England approach Lyon ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I was Australian I'd want this Australian team to lose. Horrendous people. Discredit to your country.
Just gonna keep copying and pasting this:

Says the bloke whose side’s VC is sitting at home pending the outcome of an assault investigation.

Compton

International Debutant
No point acting like someone is going to bowl like Johnson did in that series, because I could well live the rest of my life without seeing a bowler do something like that again.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
the ugly underside of sledging, as quoted by the phil hughes coroner on full show in this build up.

dickhead then goes on about how matt prior was scared of johnson and wanted to go home.

ending careers, hatred, war. really classy stuff from the australians in the lead up to this series.
Jesus. The Phil Hughes thing was a one in a million freak thing. And the inquest into it was horrific for all involved, and also for the most part pointless. And the coroner was absolutely right when he said there was no malicious intent.

If you dont think that fear plays some role in this level of cricket you are grossly mistaken. I guess we could play with tennis balls and all be nice, but some fear and some banter will always be a part of the game. It is a game where people do get hurt, and it's a test because of that.

Frankly, bringing up Hughes' death in these sort of conversations is what actually reveals a lack of class, because it has nothing to do with what is intended from anyone saying anything.

Cow

Banned
Johnson bowled quickly... but about 20 of his wickets were to absolutely appalling shots. Eng were just mentally shot in that series.

Lyon has about as much chance of retiring English batsmen as I have of becoming next Viceroy of the Australian colony.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Can't believe a 'character' like David Lloyd of all people is acting all Maude Flanders about Lyon's comments. Hardly Mr. Diplomacy during his coaching career and hardly a measured Richie Benaud type during his media career.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Jesus. The Phil Hughes thing was a one in a million freak thing. And the inquest into it was horrific for all involved, and also for the most part pointless. And the coroner was absolutely right when he said there was no malicious intent.

If you dont think that fear plays some role in this level of cricket you are grossly mistaken. I guess we could play with tennis balls and all be nice, but some fear and some banter will always be a part of the game. It is a game where people do get hurt, and it's a test because of that.

Frankly, bringing up Hughes' death in these sort of conversations is what actually reveals a lack of class, because it has nothing to do with what is intended from anyone saying anything.
banter lol

people who use the word banter are the types that call you a **** to your face then follow it up with 'its just banter m8!'

Last edited:

Burgey

People in Australia call each other ****s to their face all the time ffs.

If you say “Nah ****” to someone you’re soeaking to your mate. But if you say “maaate”, you’re effeftively saying “****”.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
banter lol

people who use the word banter are the types that call you a **** to your face then follow it up with 'its just banter m8!'
Bit straw-man-y there....If you're insinuating I'm that kind of person, I'm not.

Banter/sledging/gamesmanship, whatever you want to call it. It's part of the game, every nation has done it, every nation will continue to do it. England and Australia will both do it on field today. Let's not be PC and pretend it doesn't happen. It's always happened pre-series, I have no problem with it at all. You'd have to be overly sensitive to question it.

Honestly, I find you bringing up Phil Hughes appalling, because the coroner made it clear there was no malicious intent. And it's so ****ing obvious there wasn't on anyone's behalf. The words/banter/sledging are all part of the pantomime of test cricket. And they always will be. But no one on the field actually wishes ill will to an opponent in reality. Of that I'm 100% sure.

cnerd123

likes this
I think they've played him perfectly. He's bowled well, but that just shows he isn't going to bowl any magic, unplayable deliveries and rip out a wicket. Play him with respect and at best he wheels away economically. Eventually he will tire or get impatient, the bad ball will come, and you'll get runs then.

Zinzan

I think they've played him perfectly. He's bowled well, but that just shows he isn't going to bowl any magic, unplayable deliveries and rip out a wicket. Play him with respect and at best he wheels away economically. Eventually he will tire or get impatient, the bad ball will come, and you'll get runs then.
Nah from what I saw they were just lucky they didn't edge/bat/bad a few with that negative intent. Continuing that approach throughout the series is just playing into Lyon's hands.