• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How will England approach Lyon ?

cnerd123

likes this
Do you think England should be happy to allow him to bowl extended spells ?
depends on the conditions. Most of the time he isn't going to bowl any delivery that will take a wicket in itself. If they just keep out what's accurate and pick off runs when they're given, then he'll eventually fade and bowl more rubbish and Smith will lose faith in him and the wheels will come off.

It may seem like playing into Australia's plan to let him settle into a groove while the quicks rotate, but that's the proven method to break them down. They're a good attack but not a great one. Survive Plan A and there isn't much of a Plan B or Plan C.

Cow

Banned
Lots of snide remarks about Lyon's hairline in this thread. Quite appropriate I must say.

Woodster

International Captain
It’s a big call to say he bowls several bad balls per over ffs
Yes I certainly rate him more than that, I don't think you'll get many bad balls if you do actually let him settle without trying to unsettle him in one way or another.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do think Lyons comments on Prior were out of line though, and don’t begrudge he latter having a chip back at him.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing I find annoying about the article is that just because Cummins and Starc can bowl as fast a Johnson they'll be as shockingly effective, each. Neither of them has the difficult to pick action or has had the ability to get the lift off a length that Johnson did that summer. I'm sure they'll be a bit disconcerting but I'd be staggered if they had anywhere near the same psychological impact. And I don't believe they are bowling quicker than him either, but the speed gun will tell.

Although considering the English batting 'order' I'd still expect a few decent collapses.

Spikey

Yeah look that was rubbish from Lyon. Lehmann must have written his lines. Hope this is an one off from Lyon

Burgey

I haven’t seen anyone bowl as consistently quick as Johnson did that series since Thomson in 75/76

Gob

International Coach
One thing I find annoying about the article is that just because Cummins and Starc can bowl as fast a Johnson they'll be as shockingly effective, each. Neither of them has the difficult to pick action or has had the ability to get the lift off a length that Johnson did that summer. I'm sure they'll be a bit disconcerting but I'd be staggered if they had anywhere near the same psychological impact. And I don't believe they are bowling quicker than him either, but the speed gun will tell.

Although considering the English batting 'order' I'd still expect a few decent collapses.
Its too much to ask anyone to replicate what MJ did that summer. Cummins does bowl a really good short ball though

JRC67

U19 12th Man
England's best hope is probably that the Australian frontline quicks break down on the first couple of tests. If Lyon goes at 3.5 an over or more Smith may well over bowl his main bowlers. A fit frontline Aussie seam attack will probably see them win quite comfortably.

Woodster

International Captain
England's best hope is probably that the Australian frontline quicks break down on the first couple of tests. If Lyon goes at 3.5 an over or more Smith may well over bowl his main bowlers. A fit frontline Aussie seam attack will probably see them win quite comfortably.
Even if they get sufficient protection from being overbowled I'd be amazed if Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood all play three Tests or more together.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
If I was Australian I'd want this Australian team to lose. Horrendous people. Discredit to your country.