• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How will England approach Lyon ?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Post-Jonathan Trott. Post-greater awareness of mental illness in sport (and outside sport). Heck, I even gave Warner a bit of a reprieve for not knowing about this in 2013 but this Lyon stuff is all ex post facto. Even if I interpret his comments in the best possible light, which is that he merely meant to do the South African number on the English captaincy, it still sounds incredibly unsportsmanlike.

eleven

Cricket Spectator
Which sort of player - human being in fact - desires to end the career of another player who plies the same trade (and thus should've a lot in common with him)? Ashes: Nathan Lyon hopes Australia will 'end careers' of England players - BBC Sport

Hazlewood has been chirping similarly also and we've already heard from General Warner. Horrible group of individuals, this Aussie side.
Before the game there are other games. Both sides do it and the press are involved too. Even on forums you see people calling one particular team horrible.

In regards to looking to end careers, A few careers will end if it is a one sided series, either way. 2010/11 ashes was the end of a few Australian cricket careers (and rightly so). There are a few older players, Gary being one of them, that might not get picked again if the team crumbles. With so many newer unproven players at least one or two from each side is unlikely to ever get picked again for their country if they fail. You may think he is horrible for pointing that out but its a game of cricket where each side is looking to win. If they truly cared about the other sides career over winning, I don't think the matches would be very interesting.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Which sort of player - human being in fact - desires to end the career of another player who plies the same trade (and thus should've a lot in common with him)? Ashes: Nathan Lyon hopes Australia will 'end careers' of England players - BBC Sport

Hazlewood has been chirping similarly also and we've already heard from General Warner. Horrible group of individuals, this Aussie side.
Cool your jets there Kennedy. They're just trying to recreate the fear factor of 13/14 with a bit of pre series **** talk........some of that stuff Lyon was saying was so laughable it would be impossible to get upset about it, if he means it he's delusional.

Edit:

Also this is what the Ashes has always been like, I for one would hate to have to like and respect the Aussies ****s........i'd much rather they keep talking like this so I can thoroughly dislike them, and win, lose or draw look down on them from my moral high ground.

It's better this way.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Post-Jonathan Trott. Post-greater awareness of mental illness in sport (and outside sport). Heck, I even gave Warner a bit of a reprieve for not knowing about this in 2013 but this Lyon stuff is all ex post facto. Even if I interpret his comments in the best possible light, which is that he merely meant to do the South African number on the English captaincy, it still sounds incredibly unsportsmanlike.
You can end someone's career by having them fail horrifically, rather than them have mental health issues. I find this ironic coming from the bloke who thinks KO'ing a bloke is just an average night out in England.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fallins is the true heir apparent to Lyon's throne. Takes heaps of English wickets and is a blonde leg spinner. What more could we want?

And yeah I'd hate for the sides to stop taking smack before a series. The Aussies should all be villains to the English and the poms are all villains. This is as it should be.

S.Kennedy

I'd rather just have a series played in a sportsmanlike manner, no chirping to the press, and to be decided by the winner at the end. It seemed to work rather well for one-hundred years, until Steve Waugh arrived.

S.Kennedy

It is rather ironic that Stokes's actions is considered, it's just not cricket, yet judging by some of this it seems to be the ideal sport for the idiot. ''Get ready for a broken ****in' arm''. Cricket is the natural and ideal place for a Ben Stokes. He'd make a great Australian infact, although as he is a Kiwi-pom this might sound offensive to Australian sensibilities. But he really would. If they were not on opposing teams, Warner and Stokes would make a fine pair.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
the ugly underside of sledging, as quoted by the phil hughes coroner on full show in this build up.

dickhead then goes on about how matt prior was scared of johnson and wanted to go home.

ending careers, hatred, war. really classy stuff from the australians in the lead up to this series.

Burgey

Says the bloke whose side’s VC is sitting at home awaiting the outcome of an assault investigation.

Daemon

I'd rather just have a series played in a sportsmanlike manner, no chirping to the press, and to be decided by the winner at the end. It seemed to work rather well for one-hundred years, until Steve Waugh arrived.
Prefer some harmless if pathetic chat than that little blip of a series in 32/33 where one side was trying to kill the other

Woodster

International Captain
There has been a lot of rubbish talked, Australia camp seem obsessed with this idea that 'pace' alone is just going to see us collapse in a heap, I mean, maybe it will, but realistically it's not very likely. Yes Johnson was outstanding during that series everyone seems intent on talking about, intimidating, fast and aggressive, Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood are unlikely to replicate that kind of fast bowling although I do expect their skills will cause real problems. Enjoy when players come out with some irrelevant stuff in a bid to get some fire into the Ashes, just hope the umps let them have a bit of 'fun' out in the middle, we all love it!

Woodster

International Captain
When teams attack Lyon he gets wickets. When players just pick runs off the few bad balls per over he delivers he’s out of the attack and the ball gets thrown back to the quicks.
Yes I agree, I think most quality spinners enjoy seeing the batsmen take more than the odd risk against them, and I think the fact we don't really have the type of aggressive top order bat that is going to skip down the pitch and plant him into the stands means we'll probably approach him with a little more circumspection, depending on the state of the game aswell of course.

Graham Gooch was of the mindset the better the spin bowler the more aggressive you have to be against them, I understand that, but you have to have the skills in order to execute the plans.

Woodster

International Captain
Yea Lyon thrives when batsmen try to get in their shell, or try to be all #intent.

The Root-esque middle ground of playing him on his merits is what would work the best. He'll get extended spells for a while because the quicks need to rest, but eventually you'll see Smith lose faith in him and that's when the wheels will start to fall off.
Do you think England should be happy to allow him to bowl extended spells ?