• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nah Marsh probably thinks he's done enough. Look at it from his POV - he's had a decent start to the season and his test career was halted by injury last time so it was fair enough he was selected.

ITBT Langer seems to have undue influence on selection at the moment. Certainly he's the most visible/vocal coach.
Need to get Langer back as batting coach. He sure did well last time

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This is good news. Booked the day off work for Thursday.........can't miss the opening day of the series. Will be here all day and probably drunk by lunch time. Apologies in advance.

On a side note this will be the first Ashes in Aus since 2002/03 that I haven't got tickets for any tests, may still get up to Melbourne for a day if work allows but looking doubtful.

Gob

International Coach
When you look at the selections individually, they aren't as awful. Bancroft has to be picked. Marsh is a better bat than Maxwell and Maxwell's spin bowling would not be hugely required in Australia. Paine's call as bad as it is, he is coming in to replace Wade so you aren't losing much there. What really ****s me is the omission of Renshaw.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I might be the only one, but I like the inclusion of Paine, as much as it doesn't make sense, it does.

He is a very good keeper, a very good leader, and a far better batsman than his FC record shows (even though that doesn't make sense, I'll back him to make runs when/if we need them).

Seems like a good mature guy to have around the squad as well. I still think the selectors have some concerns about overburdening Smith, and also some concerns about his leadership. Having Paine and Marsh around will provide him with some senior heads in the team.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A few randoms on the Oz selections

Bancroft was a given and looks to be a very well organized player

Renshaw has a significant technical flaw and a bit of time spent working on that wont do him any harm as he is still very young

I like Paine as a cricketer/character and will be surprised if he turns out to be a disaster. That being said, his selection makes a mockery of the fc game in Australia

Marsh - blind faith in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Lots of better players have received less opportunities

Nevill & Maxwell - selectors/Smith obviously dont rate them at all

I dont mind the side but it would be nice to have someone that can at least bowl a couple of overs of serviceable stuff to give the main bowlers a rest. If one of them goes down, we're ****ed

Redbacks

International Captain
Is there any value in the partnership of the openers having a bit of history together?

Batting with Warner would be strange given how quick he can go. Renshaw seemed to take it in his stride and performed quite well.

Starfighter

Pitch predictions? I'm going for flat and moderately fast with tennis-ballish, not actually that threatening bounce and a small amount of grass that won't actually promote any sideways movement.

Like last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

England would probably still bowl first anyway.

the big bambino

International Captain
Its a reason why I would have kept Renshaw as he should have been given a chance on a true pitch after struggling on early season shield wickets.

social

Pitch predictions? I'm going for flat and moderately fast with tennis-ballish, not actually that threatening bounce and a small amount of grass that won't actually promote any sideways movement.

Like last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

England would probably still bowl first anyway.
Been chucking it down here so situation normal is the best prediction

Seriously doubt that it will be hard and fast as weather hasnt been conducive to producing anything rock hard

Sayers wouldnt be the worst call

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been chucking it down here so situation normal is the best prediction

Seriously doubt that it will be hard and fast as weather hasnt been conducive to producing anything rock hard

Sayers wouldnt be the worst call
So basically you're saying it could suit England?

Redbacks

International Captain
Rain might make the pitch a bit more interesting. The Gabba has been a road, but that match against NZ a few years back with something in the pitch was quite good for the bowlers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it's a cliche but this is such an important test for England. If we are competitive and eke out a draw or if I dare to dream, even a win, this series really is wide open. If the Aussies romp home with a spanking then 5 zip could very well be on the cards again.

We gotta hit the ground running in this test.