• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Australian XI vs England

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Vince survive those 4 CN overs. Predicting a series average of 33 for him, which I believe most will find acceptable yet droppable.

OverratedSanity

Good to see Vince survive those 4 CN overs. Predicting a series average of 33 for him, which I believe most will find acceptable yet droppable.
I don't think you can make a case for dropping the batsman with the highest average in the team and making him the scapegoat tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Presumably WA's team is basically pie chuckers and Coulter-Nile?
Yeah WA are actually playing a Shield game right now as well, so it's a second XI with the exception of NCN (who's only playing in this game because it's the shorter game and they want to manage his workload).

Spark

Global Moderator
What happened to the practice of proper first class games before the series? This is not really a warmup worthy of the name tbh.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The two four-dayers against a 'Cricket Australia XI' whatever that will entail before the Gabba should be a bit more substantial however your guess is as good as mine whether or not they'll be considered first-class? I'm very surprised they couldn't have played against at least one near full-strength shield side.

Justo

U19 Debutant
The two four-dayers against a 'Cricket Australia XI' whatever that will entail before the Gabba should be a bit more substantial however your guess is as good as mine whether or not they'll be considered first-class? I'm very surprised they couldn't have played against at least one near full-strength shield side.
Typically we do throw up a "reasonable" (first class standard) CA XI for warm ups with guys who aren't necessarily next in line but at least there abouts (E.G. Ryan Carters a few years back, Aaron Finch etc).

Personally I'd prefer we go back to how things were back when we dominated and touring sides tended to warm up against a genuine Australia A. Gives our selectors a decent look at our next group of players against internationals and it shouldn't affect the shield if you balance the load around.

That said England can't complain all that much. Most nations touring England warm up against bottom rung counties fielding 2nd to 3rd string bowling attacks. In the 2015 Ashes we probably didn't face a bowler in a warm up game with a First Class bowling average less than 35.

Results | England v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

Daemon

Isn't it good if you give your shield cricketers a bit of exposure to a test team? At the same time, try to actually get the opposition batsmen out so they have less time in the middle, or make them feel likey're not even good enough for the domestic teams.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Typically we do throw up a "reasonable" (first class standard) CA XI for warm ups with guys who aren't necessarily next in line but at least there abouts (E.G. Ryan Carters a few years back, Aaron Finch etc).
Someone post the scorecard

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain

Personally I'd prefer we go back to how things were back when we dominated and touring sides tended to warm up against a genuine Australia A. Gives our selectors a decent look at our next group of players against internationals and it shouldn't affect the shield if you balance the load around.

That said England can't complain all that much. Most nations touring England warm up against bottom rung counties fielding 2nd to 3rd string bowling attacks. In the 2015 Ashes we probably didn't face a bowler in a warm up game with a First Class bowling average less than 35.

Results | England v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo
I wouldn't call Kent and Essex ''bottom rung''. More, upper mid-table division two/just missing out on promotion. I'm using a time machine here perhaps but that Essex side is just two years away from winning the entire championship in the year 2017, and a fair number of future champions present, (Ten Doeschate*, Porter, Westley). That Kent have Sam Northeast, Bell-Drummond, Sam Billings and Rob Key who was finishing his career off in 2015.

First-class, Northamptonshire and Derbyshire are certainly bottom rung although Northants have shown some improvement. At least you didn't play Leicestershire!

Daemon

So apparently there's a shield round going on right now lol.

Wait why isn't Coulter-Nile playing FC?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to Dobell the bowling was tripe, Vince was flaky outside off stump and was dropped 3 times in his 80odd.

I'd almost rather have ****ing Bopara bat at 3 than Vince. Absolutely frightening prospect.