• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes predictions

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Pace quartet of Starc, Cummins, Haze, Patto to play a test together and not get injured in that test.

Wade to get sacked and replaced by Alyssa Healy.

Woodster

International Captain
There's not a chance Cook won't score a single hundred during the series. If it's a backs to the walls job he's sure to dig in and bat virtually an entire day in one of the Tests.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
First ball of the series will be a wide ball outside off stump taken by second slip.
Neither Harmy nor Johnson are playing though.

First ball will be bowled by either Jimmy or Haze..........hard to imagine either of those two ever getting their radar that wrong.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm also tipping Root and Smith to each get 400+ runs for the series
I'm not going to wish for any Steve Smith success in the series, but it would be good if both of these blokes do perform and have a good show down over 5 tests. Clearly Smith is way in front of Root atm but if Root can have a big series and outscore Smith then I think that will narrow the gap between them significantly.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hazlewood getting Root at least 5 times
Moeen getting Smith at least 5 times
Cook will pull a "Trott" midway through the series.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hazlewood getting Root at least 5 times
Moeen getting Smith at least 5 times
Cook will pull a "Trott" midway through the series.
Not even certain what you mean there?? One thing is for sure though if you're referring to some mental health issues removing Cook from the tour then I don't think you could have picked a less likely player for that to happen to. The only way Cooks leaving the tour is through injury.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if it will be midway but I see a few retirements after the Ashes - namely Cook and Jimmeh
I guess both of those are possible, but for certain it wont be mid tour. Both of them have played in enough tours down under and experienced 5 zip twice.......there is nothing the Aussies will throw at them that will break them now.

I think a Cook retirement post Ashes is far more likely than Jimmy. Jimmy is as good as he's ever been and I reckon he's got his eyes set on the 2019 Ashes in England and 600+ test wickets. Cook I'm not sure about, I don't think he got the lift he was hoping for after given up the captaincy and his form has been patchy this summer.......god knows I hope he hangs a round for a bit though. We have been unable to replace Strauss ffs, we'd be ****ed if we have to try and find a replacement for Cook too.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it wasn't really about his age but more the impression I got from his interviews. He wanted to leave after 2013 Ashes, and he wanted to leave after the India series. The 2013 Ashes broke something inside him and a player with most Test runs and centuries for England at this stage might just feel he is done with cricket after yet another tough Ashes tour. He doesn't play ODIs so there's no World Cup left. He has won 2 Ashes series, a series in India. 2019 Ashes is nothing new for him.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that would be my take on it too. Whereas Jimmy has always spoken about playing for as long as he can.