• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the guy you stabbed still has a gun and can shoot even from a compromised state, presumably?

EDIT: My point is, when under that situation your ability to think rationally itself is compromised and the law should make some allowance for that. While it may seem stupid when you are sitting in your armchair and listening to events, its another thing if you were caught in the same situation.
As far as I'm concerned if someone breaks into your house with weapons they're fair game. What are you expected to do, let them run off around your house with wife and kids sleeping somewhere? Let them run away and come back with automatic weapons to take their revenge? **** off if someone endangers my (hypothetical) family I'm going to do what needs to be done to end the threat.

Himannv

International Coach
I actually feel it's harsh to take him out of the squad for this. It certainly looks like it was the other party that started it, and I think most would think differently if he had lost the fight and got floored by the guy who started the punching.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I will now read the self defence in English law wikipedia article because I assume "do whatever you like after the first punch" is not how they interpret the law
Lol

If the law is anything like Oz, I'm pretty sure that it doesnt work that way either

Stokes would be in deep **** if the same thing happened here and there are heaps of precedents for it

social

As far as I'm concerned if someone breaks into your house with weapons they're fair game. What are you expected to do, let them run off around your house with wife and kids sleeping somewhere? Let them run away and come back with automatic weapons to take their revenge? **** off if someone endangers my (hypothetical) family I'm going to do what needs to be done to end the threat.
That's what a reasonable person would think but the law doesnt always work that way

Years ago, a mate of my old man found a guy in his house with a knife and proceeded to beat the living **** out of him

He was charged and convicted of <insert something akin to beating the living **** out of somebody> and only escaped jail time due to extenuating circumstances

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Maybe this is why the ECB didn't take the VC off Stokes once he was arrested; they knew this video was coming so removing him as VC would be seen to do something without having him off the tour.

Daemon

I'm guessing community service for Stokes. You're not allowed to leave the country except under exceptional circumstances apparently. Wonder if playing cricket counts.

cnerd123

likes this
I hate Harsh for making the 'sending criminals to Australia? I think there is a precedent for that' joke

It was so good he ruined it for everyone else.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Man there is a lot of poor posting in this thread. Beevs talking up his fighting prowess is a golden moment in CW posting. Don't you remember that we've seen what you look like, ****. You couldn't punch your way around a stack of crepes.

Emotions aside, he should get in some serious trouble for this. What transpired beforehand is mostly irrelevant to what he did. There are extenuating circumstances and I understand them very well, having been involved in my fair share of melees like this, but that punch was basically lethal force on a person who was submitting and running away. He's very lucky the guy isn't dead or seriously brain damaged.

EDIT: If he was a nobody he'd be in some dire straights, let's be real here. If he gets off lightly it's on his fame/"wealth" alone.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Teases poster about their claims of fighting prowess

Proceeds to casually mention they've been in plenty of melees

morgieb

Stokes clearly in the David Warner pool of "he's lucky he's good at cricket or else...."

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Proceeds to casually mention they've been in plenty of melees
Meh it's just the truth, never really been the aggressor but I used to have a decent-sized group of idiot friends and a real drinking problem, not so much anymore. I can understand that things can get wild and can't really chastise Stokes for it as you lose your head but it doesn't excuse it at all legally. As for Beevs, you gotta troll the troll. Though I think he has me on ignore now.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Just watching that clip again, the guy that got smacked on the back by the bottle didn't seem to fazed about it, anyone know if that was Hales? I think half of them were trying to diffuse it and ultimately Stokes punched out the wrong guy. Typical Friday night at the pub.

Gnske

Maybe Stokes just needs to publish more literature. It saved Warner and turned him into a learned man of substance.