• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Bottle was intact from what I could tell and Stokes disarmed him pretty fast, can't see this being anything other than self defense

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'd hate to see what Stokes is like when he's not acting in self defence

good thing I won't then #bannedfromaus2017 #durham

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
First attack made by the other guy. Should be enough to put the whole thing away.

Yeah, I have a become a big Stokes fan since they toured India and so I maybe biased here but I dont think you can blame a person for defending himself. The fact that the police did not charge him in-spite of the guy being in hospital should have been a bit of a give away for us, which is why I was asking about how they can arrest a bloke and then let him go without charging. I am honestly finding myself sympathizing with the guy. Its such a no win situation. The other guy was clearly winding him up and they had a bottle in hand and all of them were under influence as well.

EDIT: Just now saw the vid on streamable that ***** posted. Obviously, Stokes kept going but again unless we see the entire footage from what transpired earlier with the other parties, we cannot be sure. He did keep going longer than he had to and the little guy was submitting but if there were extenuating circumstances, even a glimmer of that, you will be sure that ECB will find it and get him off. Then again, as Lily said on How I Met Your Mother, nothing good ever happens after 2 AM.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Don't for a minute think you can throw the 1st blow, then talk your way out. Once the 1st blow is thrown, then everything that follows is self-defense. There is nothing new in this fight scenario.

Spikey

oh stokes should have got into a car and run the bloke over then. problem solved

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Thing is if you watch it closely, maybe I'm wrong but the guy who whacked someone on the back with the bottle is not the one that Stokes punched to the ground. That guy seems all along to be trying to diffuse the fight, Stokes has imop targeted the wrong guy.

Spikey

I will now read the self defence in English law wikipedia article because I assume "do whatever you like after the first punch" is not how they interpret the law

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt the law here would protect someone who keeps swinging after the situation appears defused

However I know a defused situation is a very ambiguous thing

Imo though I feel the last punches were not necessary. The dude shouting 'that's enough stokesie' and him continuing to punch doesn't look good

Spikey

In R v Lindsay,[3] the defendant, who picked up a sword in self-defence when attacked in his home by three masked intruders armed with loaded handguns, killed one of them by slashing him repeatedly. The prosecution case was that, although he had initially acted in self-defence, he had then lost his self-control and demonstrated a clear intent to kill the armed intruder. The Court of Appeal confirmed an eight-year term of imprisonment.
bloody hell why'd he have a sword anyway

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Here is what I do not get about this aspect of the law - When you get 3 folks at you loaded with guns, how are you supposed to be able to think rationally and identify the point from where self defence becomes "unnecessary"? Its like, what will happen if those blokes in the jury and the judge are put in the same situation? Will they be able to calmly rationalize the potential of the opposite party to cause bodily harm to them etc etc?

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Probably not but that guy wasn't attacking anyone in the 59 secs shown. And if that's all there is m, Stokes is in trouble. My eyesight isn't the best so frame by frame it and look for yourself.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here is what I do not get about this aspect of the law - When you get 3 folks at you loaded with guns, how are you supposed to be able to think rationally and identify the point from where self defence becomes "unnecessary"? Its like, what will happen if those blokes in the jury and the judge are put in the same situation? Will they be able to calmly rationalize the potential of the opposite party to cause bodily harm to them etc etc?
Maybe the other blokes **** their pants and ran after he stabbed their mate so his continue slashing was deemed excessive?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But the guy you stabbed still has a gun and can shoot even from a compromised state, presumably?

EDIT: My point is, when under that situation your ability to think rationally itself is compromised and the law should make some allowance for that. While it may seem stupid when you are sitting in your armchair and listening to events, its another thing if you were caught in the same situation.

Last edited: