• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It's not the first time they've appealed for witnesses. Wonder why the person who's filmed the incident doesn't want to come forward (assuming he/she saw the whole thing).
Is it the persons who filmed it? I wondered if it might be the guys he was 'defending' in the pub, to confirm his side of the story?

Spark

Global Moderator
The well known bias against extremely famous celebrities in legal proceedings at play, ofc.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The well known bias against extremely famous celebrities in legal proceedings at play, ofc.
Haha yes, quite. In the UK it's perfectly normal for "ordinary" people to go out and punch/kick people on the floor with no legal consequences whatsoever. But when a sportsman does it, ho boy. Some things are just beyond the pale,

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha yes, quite. In the UK it's perfectly normal for "ordinary" people to go out and punch/kick people on the floor with no legal consequences whatsoever. But when a sportsman does it, ho boy. Some things are just beyond the pale,
S. Kennedy has told us this sort of thing happens all the time in Newcastle.

I think the locals there refer to it as 'culture'

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
S. Kennedy has told us this sort of thing happens all the time in Newcastle.

I think the locals there refer to it as 'culture'
All you have to do is go to the big market on friday and you will similar scenes. The Stokes thing is about the most uninteresting thing ever. The only thing that makes it interesting is it featured Ben Stokes.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like an awful place. Also sounds like the law should crack down harder on such caveman behaviour in order to prevent such incidents from occurring so frequently.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sounds like an awful place. Also sounds like the law should crack down harder on such caveman behaviour in order to prevent such incidents from occurring so frequently.
Don't believe everything you read that's been written by people who don't know what they are talking about imo. The police in the UK do crack down on this sort of thing. Magistrates' courts up and down the country are full of idiotic defendants who have been involved in incidents like this on a daily basis.

Beevs' impassioned defence of Stokes is just a tribalist embarrassment. Contrast his views on this with his views on a similar incident involving Steven Gerrard for lols. You'll also note that none of his posts in this thread have engaged with any of the substantive points being made. They've either been poorly thought out assertions (the likes of which even Furball would be ashamed of) or explaining how tough he is. Not exactly stellar form.

As for S.Kennedy. Well, he doesn't make posts that aren't wrong and/or ****. From that I am sure you are more than capable of drawing your own conclusions.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So these incidents really are common then? Awful. Would rather have a night out in chennai.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't believe everything you read that's been written by people who don't know what they are talking about imo. The police in the UK do crack down on this sort of thing. Magistrates' courts up and down the country are full of idiotic defendants who have been involved in incidents like this on a daily basis.

Beevs' impassioned defence of Stokes is just a tribalist embarrassment. Contrast his views on this with his views on a similar incident involving Steven Gerrard for lols. You'll also note that none of his posts in this thread have engaged with any of the substantive points being made. They've either been poorly thought out assertions (the likes of which even Furball would be ashamed of) or explaining how tough he is. Not exactly stellar form.

As for S.Kennedy. Well, he doesn't make posts that aren't wrong and/or ****. From that I am sure you are more than capable of drawing your own conclusions.
This thread is an embarrassment, as is Ben Stokes.

I still pretty much want everything to be okay and he plays, but it's not, so I've done my best to shut up.

Defending him in this circumstance is a great way to be wrong

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If there is any consolation to be drawn from this tawdry affair it is, as sledger says, that Stokes is being treated by the criminal justice system in the same way as anyone else would in the same situatiom