Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 201
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: England Ashes Squad

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15

    England Ashes Squad

    1) Cook
    2) Stoneman
    3) Root
    4) Livingstone
    5) Hales
    6) Stokes
    7) Bairstow
    8) Moeen
    9) Woakes
    10) Broad
    11) Anderson

    12) Foakes
    13) Finn
    14) Jack Leach
    15) Hameed
    16) Wood
    digiosmosis likes this.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    282
    Whatever the squad will be,England will be in for a 5-0 hammering

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Normal service resumed
    Posts
    17,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    Whatever the squad will be,England will be in for a 5-0 hammering
    I can't see Australia losing all 5 tbh

  4. #4
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    12,999
    1. Cook
    2. Stoneman
    3. Root
    4. Lawrence
    5. Malan
    6. Stokes
    7. Bairstow
    8. Ali
    9. Woakes
    10. Broad
    11. Anderson
      ------
    12. Hameed
    13. Livingstone/Hales
    14. Foakes
    15. Rashid/Leach
    16. Wood/Porter
    17. Finn/Plunkett/COverton
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    19,148
    I have no idea why people are putting Foakes in as according to Bayliss about a month ago there will be no new faces in the squad this winter. That may change now given the injury to TRJ and the doubt over Wood but I fully expect Buttler to be reserve keeper and Finn to come in to the squad for TRJ.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I have no idea why people are putting Foakes in as according to Bayliss about a month ago there will be no new faces in the squad this winter. That may change now given the injury to TRJ and the doubt over Wood but I fully expect Buttler to be reserve keeper and Finn to come in to the squad for TRJ.
    By habit I would automatically put Buttler in there and I have mixed feelings if that is the way we go. On the one hand I think Buttler is such a special cricketer that he must be in the squad, he can play innings with the bat that very few Englishman can and he has that x-factor that we can't afford to leave out. However, he played only four CC games this season so far, he has batted six times and scored just over 100 runs at around 17! He will be picked over Ben Foakes on the strength of his batting as Foakes' keeping is widely recognised as being up there with the Foster's and Read's in county cricket. I don't think Buttler has done enough in red ball cricket to automatically get the nod ahead of the more deserving Foakes, who for the record is averaging 47.85 in the Championship this season to date.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    19,148
    For the record I wouldn't have Buttler in the squad if it was down to me. I would pick Foakes but I am just going off the comment of no new names a while back.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,825
    Yes my disagreeing post was more aimed at the selectors than you mate, think it's a bit unfair on Foakes to have not at least been discussed as a very viable option by the selectors in the media. I'm sure it's been discussed at length in the meetings.

  9. #9
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    46,435
    I think we're looking at the final XI of the summer, minus Westley and the unlucky TRJ (back stress fractures don't properly heal in the time available) with Hameed & Hales, Woakes, Finn and Wood as the spare seamers, Rashid as the back up spinner (assuming Bayliss is on the level about no newbs) & Buttler as the reserve stumper.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    282
    Why people think Hameed will do any good in Ashes? He would be raped by Aussies bowlers

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,448
    For the record Hameed isn't playing in the last championship game as he has had surgery on his finger.

  12. #12
    State Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,953
    Hameed is buggered. Wood and Roland-Jones have injury doubts. Time for a Curran or an Overton to stake a claim.
    Future Proof

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Right Side of History
    Posts
    19,476
    Don't think Hameed will go on the main tour, think he needs some work on his technique. I was listening to Mike Brearley on Talksport before this latest injury happened and he was saying he plays too low and that will bring finger injuries into play, on quick pitches that may be a problem.

    I know it's probably because I'm watching him on the telly now, but don't really understand why Plunkett isn't mentioned more, ticks a lot of boxes, bowls genuinely quickly, has played in Oz before, can bat which seems a pre-requisite.

    As I've said before though, and going along with Bayliss' comments, we've got a development squad out there at the same time, so I just don't see the point of having the Currans, Overtons, Crane, Lawrence in the main squad. If they're on fire and we get injuries we can just switch them. So I expect no surprises whatsoever in the squad, and am more interested in the development squad, reckon Garton might get a spot.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Marsden Bay, NZ
    Posts
    22,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    He would be raped by Aussies bowlers
    Ugh.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Don't think Hameed will go on the main tour, think he needs some work on his technique. I was listening to Mike Brearley on Talksport before this latest injury happened and he was saying he plays too low and that will bring finger injuries into play, on quick pitches that may be a problem.

    I know it's probably because I'm watching him on the telly now, but don't really understand why Plunkett isn't mentioned more, ticks a lot of boxes, bowls genuinely quickly, has played in Oz before, can bat which seems a pre-requisite.

    As I've said before though, and going along with Bayliss' comments, we've got a development squad out there at the same time, so I just don't see the point of having the Currans, Overtons, Crane, Lawrence in the main squad. If they're on fire and we get injuries we can just switch them. So I expect no surprises whatsoever in the squad, and am more interested in the development squad, reckon Garton might get a spot.
    Yes this is true, some of them will be better served getting some cricket in Oz and should the Test team need them they'll be more match ready than some of the main squad reserves. In a way it's a fairly low key squad selection for England as the second string will be out there anyway should any call-ups be required.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Your England Ashes squad?
    By Firebreaker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20-08-2017, 10:53 AM
  2. What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?
    By howardj in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 315
    Last Post: 23-05-2009, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 141
    Last Post: 19-10-2006, 12:01 AM
  4. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 30-03-2005, 05:50 PM
  5. The Ashes squad will be this (England)
    By chris.hinton in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2002, 04:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •