12. Hameed
    13. Livingstone/Hales
    14. Foakes
    15. Rashid/Leach
    16. Wood/Porter
    17. Finn/Plunkett/COverton
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I have no idea why people are putting Foakes in as according to Bayliss about a month ago there will be no new faces in the squad this winter. That may change now given the injury to TRJ and the doubt over Wood but I fully expect Buttler to be reserve keeper and Finn to come in to the squad for TRJ.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I have no idea why people are putting Foakes in as according to Bayliss about a month ago there will be no new faces in the squad this winter. That may change now given the injury to TRJ and the doubt over Wood but I fully expect Buttler to be reserve keeper and Finn to come in to the squad for TRJ.
    By habit I would automatically put Buttler in there and I have mixed feelings if that is the way we go. On the one hand I think Buttler is such a special cricketer that he must be in the squad, he can play innings with the bat that very few Englishman can and he has that x-factor that we can't afford to leave out. However, he played only four CC games this season so far, he has batted six times and scored just over 100 runs at around 17! He will be picked over Ben Foakes on the strength of his batting as Foakes' keeping is widely recognised as being up there with the Foster's and Read's in county cricket. I don't think Buttler has done enough in red ball cricket to automatically get the nod ahead of the more deserving Foakes, who for the record is averaging 47.85 in the Championship this season to date.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    For the record I wouldn't have Buttler in the squad if it was down to me. I would pick Foakes but I am just going off the comment of no new names a while back.

Yes my disagreeing post was more aimed at the selectors than you mate, think it's a bit unfair on Foakes to have not at least been discussed as a very viable option by the selectors in the media. I'm sure it's been discussed at length in the meetings.

I think we're looking at the final XI of the summer, minus Westley and the unlucky TRJ (back stress fractures don't properly heal in the time available) with Hameed & Hales, Woakes, Finn and Wood as the spare seamers, Rashid as the back up spinner (assuming Bayliss is on the level about no newbs) & Buttler as the reserve stumper.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Banned
    Why people think Hameed will do any good in Ashes? He would be raped by Aussies bowlers

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    For the record Hameed isn't playing in the last championship game as he has had surgery on his finger.

Hameed is buggered. Wood and Roland-Jones have injury doubts. Time for a Curran or an Overton to stake a claim.
    Future Proof

Don't think Hameed will go on the main tour, think he needs some work on his technique. I was listening to Mike Brearley on Talksport before this latest injury happened and he was saying he plays too low and that will bring finger injuries into play, on quick pitches that may be a problem.

I know it's probably because I'm watching him on the telly now, but don't really understand why Plunkett isn't mentioned more, ticks a lot of boxes, bowls genuinely quickly, has played in Oz before, can bat which seems a pre-requisite.

As I've said before though, and going along with Bayliss' comments, we've got a development squad out there at the same time, so I just don't see the point of having the Currans, Overtons, Crane, Lawrence in the main squad. If they're on fire and we get injuries we can just switch them. So I expect no surprises whatsoever in the squad, and am more interested in the development squad, reckon Garton might get a spot.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    He would be raped by Aussies bowlers
    Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Don't think Hameed will go on the main tour, think he needs some work on his technique. I was listening to Mike Brearley on Talksport before this latest injury happened and he was saying he plays too low and that will bring finger injuries into play, on quick pitches that may be a problem.

I know it's probably because I'm watching him on the telly now, but don't really understand why Plunkett isn't mentioned more, ticks a lot of boxes, bowls genuinely quickly, has played in Oz before, can bat which seems a pre-requisite.

As I've said before though, and going along with Bayliss' comments, we've got a development squad out there at the same time, so I just don't see the point of having the Currans, Overtons, Crane, Lawrence in the main squad. If they're on fire and we get injuries we can just switch them. So I expect no surprises whatsoever in the squad, and am more interested in the development squad, reckon Garton might get a spot.
    Yes this is true, some of them will be better served getting some cricket in Oz and should the Test team need them they'll be more match ready than some of the main squad reserves. In a way it's a fairly low key squad selection for England as the second string will be out there anyway should any call-ups be required.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information