• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Ashes Squad

broadyfan94

Cricket Spectator
1) Cook
2) Stoneman
3) Root
4) Livingstone
5) Hales
6) Stokes
7) Bairstow
8) Moeen
9) Woakes
10) Broad
11) Anderson

12) Foakes
13) Finn
14) Jack Leach
15) Hameed
16) Wood

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Cook
  2. Stoneman
  3. Root
  4. Lawrence
  5. Malan
  6. Stokes
  7. Bairstow
  8. Ali
  9. Woakes
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson
    ------
  12. Hameed
  13. Livingstone/Hales
  14. Foakes
  15. Rashid/Leach
  16. Wood/Porter
  17. Finn/Plunkett/COverton

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have no idea why people are putting Foakes in as according to Bayliss about a month ago there will be no new faces in the squad this winter. That may change now given the injury to TRJ and the doubt over Wood but I fully expect Buttler to be reserve keeper and Finn to come in to the squad for TRJ.

Woodster

International Captain
I have no idea why people are putting Foakes in as according to Bayliss about a month ago there will be no new faces in the squad this winter. That may change now given the injury to TRJ and the doubt over Wood but I fully expect Buttler to be reserve keeper and Finn to come in to the squad for TRJ.
By habit I would automatically put Buttler in there and I have mixed feelings if that is the way we go. On the one hand I think Buttler is such a special cricketer that he must be in the squad, he can play innings with the bat that very few Englishman can and he has that x-factor that we can't afford to leave out. However, he played only four CC games this season so far, he has batted six times and scored just over 100 runs at around 17! He will be picked over Ben Foakes on the strength of his batting as Foakes' keeping is widely recognised as being up there with the Foster's and Read's in county cricket. I don't think Buttler has done enough in red ball cricket to automatically get the nod ahead of the more deserving Foakes, who for the record is averaging 47.85 in the Championship this season to date.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For the record I wouldn't have Buttler in the squad if it was down to me. I would pick Foakes but I am just going off the comment of no new names a while back.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes my disagreeing post was more aimed at the selectors than you mate, think it's a bit unfair on Foakes to have not at least been discussed as a very viable option by the selectors in the media. I'm sure it's been discussed at length in the meetings.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we're looking at the final XI of the summer, minus Westley and the unlucky TRJ (back stress fractures don't properly heal in the time available) with Hameed & Hales, Woakes, Finn and Wood as the spare seamers, Rashid as the back up spinner (assuming Bayliss is on the level about no newbs) & Buttler as the reserve stumper.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Hameed is buggered. Wood and Roland-Jones have injury doubts. Time for a Curran or an Overton to stake a claim.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think Hameed will go on the main tour, think he needs some work on his technique. I was listening to Mike Brearley on Talksport before this latest injury happened and he was saying he plays too low and that will bring finger injuries into play, on quick pitches that may be a problem.

I know it's probably because I'm watching him on the telly now, but don't really understand why Plunkett isn't mentioned more, ticks a lot of boxes, bowls genuinely quickly, has played in Oz before, can bat which seems a pre-requisite.

As I've said before though, and going along with Bayliss' comments, we've got a development squad out there at the same time, so I just don't see the point of having the Currans, Overtons, Crane, Lawrence in the main squad. If they're on fire and we get injuries we can just switch them. So I expect no surprises whatsoever in the squad, and am more interested in the development squad, reckon Garton might get a spot.

Woodster

International Captain
Don't think Hameed will go on the main tour, think he needs some work on his technique. I was listening to Mike Brearley on Talksport before this latest injury happened and he was saying he plays too low and that will bring finger injuries into play, on quick pitches that may be a problem.

I know it's probably because I'm watching him on the telly now, but don't really understand why Plunkett isn't mentioned more, ticks a lot of boxes, bowls genuinely quickly, has played in Oz before, can bat which seems a pre-requisite.

As I've said before though, and going along with Bayliss' comments, we've got a development squad out there at the same time, so I just don't see the point of having the Currans, Overtons, Crane, Lawrence in the main squad. If they're on fire and we get injuries we can just switch them. So I expect no surprises whatsoever in the squad, and am more interested in the development squad, reckon Garton might get a spot.
Yes this is true, some of them will be better served getting some cricket in Oz and should the Test team need them they'll be more match ready than some of the main squad reserves. In a way it's a fairly low key squad selection for England as the second string will be out there anyway should any call-ups be required.

Woodster

International Captain
Seems according to the Times that Craig Overton might get the nod ahead of Finn aswell? Would be a small surprise.

Woodster

International Captain
The Hales rumour seems to be gathering pace and I can see the benefits of his inclusion ahead of someone like Gary Ballance. I keep changing my mind over the exact personnel to take in this squad, can't think there's going to be any major surprises, unless they include Sam Robson which is a slightly left-field selection.