• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Ashes Squad

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Etheridge who normally is dead on says this is the squad.

Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root (capt), Malan, Ballance, Stokes, Bairstow (wkt), Foakes (wkt), Moeen, Crane, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Ball, C.Overton.

Woodster

International Captain
So I've been deliberating over this England squad for a few days and this would be my selection, not the selection I think they'll go with :-

1. Cook
2. Stoneman
3. Robson
4. Root (c)
5. Malan
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow (wk)
8. Moeen
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Anderson

12. Westley
13. Foakes (wk)
14. Rashid
15. Finn
16. Wood

That's my 16, there's are a few factors to consider within that squad in order for me to be completely happy about it.

I personally think they'll go with Ballance instead of Westley and Vince instead of Robson. I think Buttler will get the nod instead of Foakes, not sure what second spin option they'll go with as they all represent a risk of varying degrees. I'm also of the opinion they will opt for Finn and Ball as the back-up seamers.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Looking at the squad it's fairly predictable/uninspiring with no real surprises, I've gone for a bit of consistency in selection, Malan and Westley both fairly fortunate but I'm not sure there are necessarily any better options out there and only Ballance has really put in CC performances to put any real pressure on those two, and I just don't think he has the technique to succeed against this Aussie attack over there.

Ben Foakes deserves the nod over Buttler for me, for reasons discussed earlier in this thread. Rashid for some reason is completely out of favour at the moment so I guess if they went for him it would be a surprise, but surely we can't throw a debutant in over in Oz should Moeen have to pull out on the morning of a game, Crane would be a huge gamble, and not many finger spinners do well in Australia in their debut series.

Finn and Wood both have Test experience and that gives them the edge over Coverton. Ball and Plunkett unlucky to miss out, but in Wood's case he does give us something different otherwise we'd have a few similar style bowlers.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I wasn't even the biggest supporter of Rashid and I'm still surprised at how he has fallen out of favour!

FBU

International Debutant
Collingwood, 1024 runs at 51.20 this season, is exactly what England need, a warrior who digs deep and scores ugly runs. There are too many of these new England batsmen - and I'm including Rocky and Keats here also - who get out playing nothing 'waft' shots outside their off-stump.
He is going to Australia as an England coach. I would play him at number 5. He would be great in the slips as well.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man imagine if Trott, Strauss, Swann and KP were all at their best and had been playing the last few years. Pretty much solve all the holes in England's lineup instantly.

But then I suppose the Beard wouldn't have been where he is today so I guess it's not worth the tradeoff.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP should still be playing. It was a disgrace that they made him the scape goat for 2014 ashes. He was a natural superstar.

fun fact: After 2013-14 Ashes England immediately dropped their 2 top run-scorers for the series (KP & Carberry), never to play again.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KP should still be playing. It was a disgrace that they made him the scape goat for 2014 ashes. He was a natural superstar.

fun fact: After 2013-14 Ashes England immediately dropped their 2 top run-scorers for the series (KP & Carberry), never to play again.

I mean if the excuse of him being toxic to the lockerroom is legit, then fair enough. If not then I agree it's silly. Would so much rather see him in the team over some of the middle order scrubs paraded out in the years after him

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KP also had run ins with Giles Clarke which I think played more of a part in what happened to him than any of this internal team squabble stuff. I mean, initially yes, that was the thing that set it off but beyond that, the whole comical "re-integration" thing, was just plain silly. Fact was they needed him badly to get a result in India, got him in and then threw him out when it was convenient for them. He was always the same ****** guy. ECB just always put up with him when it was convenient for them and then used him to stoke their own egos when not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh for the love of God, do we really need another Kevin Pietersen debate. He was dropped, some people think it was the right move, some don't. Going over the same debate and rehashing the same opinions won't change it.