• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined Ashes XI after 4 tests

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rogers (c)
Warner
Smith
Bell
Root
Stokes
Buttler (wk)
Starc
Broad
Lyon
Anderson

Cook missing out to Warner and Nev missing out to Buttler probably the only controversial picks here.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rogers (c)
Warner
Smith
Bell
Root
Stokes
Buttler (wk)
Starc
Broad
Lyon

Cook missing out to Warner and Nev missing out to Buttler probably the only controversial picks here.
The other controversy is deciding to pick only 10 players.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rogers
Cook
Warner
Smith
Root
Stokes
Nevill
Broad
Starc
Anderson
Lyon

Going with all 3 of Rogers, Cook and Warner. Apart from Root and Smith at Lord's all the middle order options have been pretty poor, those three have at least been decent. Nevill's been slightly better than Buttler IMO, and I'll go Starc and Anderson for the other two quicks in what has been a tightish field.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Rogers
2 Warner
3 Cook c
4 Root
5 Bell
6 Stokes
7 Buttler
8 Broad
9 Lyon
10 Anderson
11 Finn

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Cook
Rodgers
Bell
Root
Smith
Stokes
Nevill
Starc
Broad
Anderson
Lyon (I'd have picked Finn but I guess a team w/out a spinner would be against the spirit of it)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cook over Warner.

Warner's downhill skiied a couple of times or scored meaningless 2nd innings runs (see Trent Bridge.) Cook's 40 odd at Trent Bridge was much more valuable in the context of the game.

Plus Cook's captaincy has been good.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bell's almost unanimous selection whilst averaging about 30 for the series just about sums up the state of the middle order batsmanship that we've seen.

I'd have to agree with Rogers, Cook, Warner, Smith, Root and Stokes in the top 6.
Probably Nevill at 7.
Definitely Lyon as spinner.
And as it's in England, Broad, Anderson and whichever of Starc, Finn and Hazelden has his radar sorted on the day.

Last edited:

Daemon

Warner
Rogers
Cook
Root
Smith/Bell
Stokes
Nevill
Starc
Broad
Lyon
Anderson

Bell if based on results, Smith if using common sense

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The sad thing about this is the middle order. Both sides have had really poor middle orders (Root and Smith notwithstanding). Particularly the #4 position this series has been attrocious. Bell is a shoe-in for that position with an average of around 30. Awful.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we factor in this Test then Smith becomes a lot more credible.

But if I'm not mistaken, before this Test and outside of Lord's he's failed almost every time. Whereas Bell, while not great, has put on a few useful 50s that were huge in the context of their match as much as Smith's 200 was at Lord's.

I can understand going either way, based on the four Tests so far. But unless Bell goes big here then I don't think there's a case of him making a series XI ahead of Smith after five Tests.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bell's runs at Cardiff and, especially, Edgbaston were vital tbf. But no way does he get picked ahead of Smith.

Voges putting a late run to replace Stokes if we're happy with four bowlers.

And Cook's captaincy taking a hit with the decision to insert at The Oval.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Slightly non-Ashes related, but what about the best XI of the English test summer to date?

Rogers
Cook *
Williamson
Smith
Root
Stokes
Watling +
Broad
Hazel/Starc/Finn
Lyon
Boult

Handy side.

Zinzan

Nah, Anderson's 16 wickets @ over 33 with a SR of 62 (in 5 tests) doesn't cut it compared to the other 3 if we're honest.

Hazel 16 wickets @ 25 & SR of 41 (4 tests)

Starc 18 wickets @ 28 & SR 41 (5 tests)

Finn 12 wickets @ 22 & SR 39 (3 test)

OverratedSanity

Nah, Anderson's 16 wickets @ over 33 with a SR of 62 (in 5 tests) doesn't cut it compared to the other 3 if we're honest.

Hazel 16 wickets @ 25 & SR of 41 (4 tests)

Starc 18 wickets @ 28 & SR 41 (5 tests)

Finn 12 wickets @ 22 & SR 39 (3 test)
Misleading stats maybe? Personally think Anderson bowled better than Haze/Starc overall. His average probably would've plummeted greatly if he'd played at Trentbridge too.

Zinzan

Misleading stats maybe? Personally think Anderson bowled better than Haze/Starc overall. His average probably would've plummeted greatly if he'd played at Trentbridge too.
Yeah thought you might disagree. To balance Trent Bridge out a bit, let's not forget Anderson got first bite on what was an extremely fruity day 1 pitch in Headingley vs. NZ when he took his 400. From memory NZ were 0-2 after losing the toss, and it was hooping all over the place. those other bowlers didn't get to bowl on that.

What's ur XI btw?

Last edited: