View Poll Results: Most disappointing Ashes loss from an Australian POV?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll

1 4.00%

1 4.00%
  • 2010/11

7 28.00%

1 4.00%

3 12.00%
  • They were all delightful

12 48.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Most galling Ashes loss

Turning it an around to an English pov, rating the wins from deliriously joyous to quietly enjoyable ..

1. 2005 - 18 years of pain etc. Perhaps younger CWers who hadn't endured the 1989 to 2003 period feel differently.
    2. 2010/11 - it was away from home and every morning was the reverse of the whitewashes, waking up, hoping for the best, and hearing that they'd gone way beyond any sane expectations.
    3. 2015 - so unexpected, even allowing for Ryan Harris' absence. Helped by a fair chunk of the Aus team being so unlikeable in the 18 months or so leading up to it.
    4. 2009 - again unexpected. iirc the previous series had seen us losing in WI and Aus winning in SA, so htf did this happen? And sealing an Ashes win on a sunny day at The Oval is always special.
    5. 2013 - enjoyed it of course, but it was that period when I was out of love with the England side for all sorts of reasons that I won't repeat here. And given the state of the Aus side at the start of the series, the 1st and 4th tests should never have been as close as they were. Plus the Ovalgate affair soured things somewhat.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 10-08-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    Samuel_Vimes likes this.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Sorry to be a pedant but it was day four at The Oval in 09.

That series was amazing for me. Would be hard to rank those Ashes victories, except for first and last place (same order as yours)

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Sorry to be a pedant but it was day four at The Oval in 09.

That series was amazing for me. Would be hard to rank those Ashes victories, except for first and last place (same order as yours)
    Bloody pedant.
    Anyway, I've corrected it now.

2009 did have some very special moments, most of them involving your boy Fred of course.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 10-08-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Bloody pedant.

2009 did have some very special moments, most of them involving your boy Fred of course.
    Indeed. And I was off work for most of the series which helps make it special.

They all have their plus points tbh. 2013 is mainly soured for me by the fact it didn't really count for anything in the end.

2010/11 possibly even better than 2005 for me. I managed to watch so much of that series, almost certainly more than I will ever be able to watch an away ashes again.

This one is right up there as well though, 2009 and 2013 a long way back.

Watched the majority of the 05 series bar Trent Bridge when I was on holiday, but I would still probably put 10/11 ahead in hindsight. Arguably the best set of performances I've ever seen by an England side considering the margins of victories and the fact it was overseas.
    Howe_zat likes this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

I'd still stick 2005 ahead. It really was a magical time to be a cricket fan.

I think it's slightly over-rated in hindsight, and 2010/11 runs it damned close, but I can't go beyond that series for the drama and the way it just captured the attention of the nation.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

2005 was great because the last four tests were all close (or had exciting finishes). No other Ashes series since has had that but at least 2009 actually went to the wire. That's looking at it objectively rather than as an England fan, per se.

10/11 did as well; sure the urn was retained at Melbourne but that wasn't enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    2005 was great because the last four tests were all close (or had exciting finishes). No other Ashes series since has had that but at least 2009 actually went to the wire. That's looking at it objectively rather than as an England fan, per se.
    Plus we played so very well against a still great Aus side, despite what the revisionists will tell you to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    10/11 did as well; sure the urn was retained at Melbourne but that wasn't enough for me.
    Ashes didn't go to the wire though.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    From a neutral perspective, '05 was by far the most thrilling series to follow.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Plus we played so very well against a still great Aus side, despite what the revisionists will tell you to the contrary.
    I don't think it's revisionist to suggest that that particular side wasn't quite as good on the field as their on paper strength suggested.

Having re-watched the DVDs again recently, there was a lot of appalling cricket played by Australia that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    I don't think it's revisionist to suggest that that particular side wasn't quite as good on the field as their on paper strength suggested.

Having re-watched the DVDs again recently, there was a lot of appalling cricket played by Australia that series.
    Which was largely brought about due to the way England played. They were unprepared for the fast bowling (in particular the reverse swing, and Freddie going round the wicket to the left handers) and the aggressive batting. They rocked up expecting same old England, got it by and large at Lords bar Harmison and Pietersen and Ponting is even quoted as saying 'Same old Poms.' They had not accounted for the way we would play through the rest of the series and that induced a lot of the mistakes they would then make.

It is absolutely revisionist to try and underplay the quality of the side England took down in 2005, especially when you factor in that it was England and that we hadn't beaten them in eighteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah look I'll accept that it's one of those "chicken or egg" scenarios - were the Australian bats out of form because they were up against a superb bowling unit, or was it superb bowling that led to Australia's batsmen losing form?

However, Hayden had been in wretched form coming into the series - he'd gone 12 Tests without a ton, which he continued by failing to make a 50 in the first 4 Tests.
    Clarke was an unproven youngster who'd had 1 season in the Test side - and while he'd sparkled on debut in India, he'd had a pretty **** home summer. His series against New Zealand and Pakistan remain two of his worst ever.
    Katich is another one who was nowhere near established.

It's telling that by the time South Africa rocked around at Christmas 2005, half of Australia's Ashes top 6 had been binned. There's no doubting it was a great series performance, particularly as past England teams would have just folded after Lord's. But Australia weren't a side without their problems.
    Prince EWS, Uppercut and Daemon like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information