• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C'mon Lyth. Please ton up.

He has actually developed and learned about test cricket as the series has progressed. The first over of this innings was maiden to him. Earlier against us he probably would have hit one of those balls for 2 runs, and had people admiring how proactive and busy he was at the crease - only for him to get out flashing unnecessarily 5 overs later.

He has looked tighter and tighter the more he has learned. One day he will pay off and I hope it is today.
Mate, he's crap

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Missed the carnage last night and the fun this morning. Not long got up and managed to sleep long enough not to have a hangover which is nice. Now to watch us get skittled before the afternoon football is over.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, he's crap
I don't agree with you about Moeen but I do agree with you about this.
Like Robson, has a technical fault but had scored the runs in county cricket to deserve his call up. Not his fault he isn't up to the required level. Can go back to county cricket and carry on scoring heavily like he does.
He will be dropped if he fails this dig even if he is run out and it is not his fault. However if he can get a score then he is worth persevering with. I can see him averaging around 36-37 in tests if he can get through this learning phase.

That last leave by him was an opener's leave by the way. The way he withdrew the bat inside the line was old school.

36-37 may not sound very good, but it is good enough to be Cook's partner until some prodigy comes along.

flibbertyjibber

I like Lyth, was a big fan of his and wanted him to get his chance but he clearly isn't up to it and we have discarded others with better techniques and records than him. He will be incredibly lucky to play again after this series even if he gets a big score here. No idea who we pick for SA but I think the talk of Moeen for UAE is possible to fit Rashid in the side at 8.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Lyth does the unlikely and gets a big one to make a contest of this then he at least deserves to travel to UAE

Sadly I can't see it. It'll be Cook and Root who take us to a match winning total here.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I like Lyth, was a big fan of his and wanted him to get his chance but he clearly isn't up to it and we have discarded others with better techniques and records than him. He will be incredibly lucky to play again after this series even if he gets a big score here. No idea who we pick for SA but I think the talk of Moeen for UAE is possible to fit Rashid in the side at 8.
Hales is scoring runs at the right time so i think he will tour. Agree that Moeen is a possibility in UAE but he's not going to the opening at Kingsmead so it's very much the same sort of thing about dragging Lyth to the UAE and then not picking him WRT Hales.

Also if Hales gets runs in the ODI series it makes him even more likely to be picked.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

So easy to say in hindsight, but Siddle would have been so much better on those bowling-friendly pitches than Starc and Johnson.

In other news, Bell has graduated from Sherminator to Stiffmeister