• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apologies if this has already been posted, but has any thought been given to Moeen opening in the UAE? He can't be worse than Lythe and it will make it is easy for Rashid (or other spinner) to bat 8
He's a tailender so no point going forward

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Apologies if this has already been posted, but has any thought been given to Moeen opening in the UAE? He can't be worse than Lythe and it will make it is easy for Rashid (or other spinner) to bat 8
It's been brought up plenty of times. It just depends whether they want to play three seamers. If so I think he'll open.

I'm sure given recently form Hales will be on the tour then its just a question if the team makeup.

Another option is Ansari as he spins as well.

Lyth is done.

If they take a long term view it'll surely be Hales in UAE but they may go horses for courses.

Compton

International Debutant
I thought fastest bowler at one end, spinner at the other was pretty much accepted as the method to bowl out the tail?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It's been brought up plenty of times. It just depends whether they want to play three seamers. If so I think he'll open.

I'm sure given recently form Hales will be on the tour then its just a question if the team makeup.

Another option is Ansari as he spins as well.

Lyth is done.

If they take a long term view it'll surely be Hales in UAE but they may go horses for courses.
I guess they could go 2seamers with Stokes and Hales up top.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I guess they could go 2seamers with Stokes and Hales up top.
Sorry I meant 4 seamers. As Stokes will play at 6.

Moeen won't be opening in SA so I would get the new man in straight away personally.

Bringing Hales in will bring in a much needed "Ill timed twitter comments" quota back to the England side.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What a time it would be for Lyth to score a triple
Only way he can save his career.
C'mon Lyth. Please ton up.

He has actually developed and learned about test cricket as the series has progressed. The first over of this innings was maiden to him. Earlier against us he probably would have hit one of those balls for 2 runs, and had people admiring how proactive and busy he was at the crease - only for him to get out flashing unnecessarily 5 overs later.

He has looked tighter and tighter the more he has learned. One day he will pay off and I hope it is today.