• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goes without saying that the standard of batting in this series has been absolutely appalling bar a couple of players

England have been better but it's a sorry indictment upon the Australians that they have been soundly beaten by a team with literally only a few international quality players

Son Of Coco

Smitteh's mrs is so far out of his league it's not even funny

Would never happen back in the 70s-80s when cricketers made normal wages
You could say the same about most of the South African cricket team too. Wasn't Jacques Kallis dating a model at some stage?

Flem274*

123/5
Goes without saying that the standard of batting in this series has been absolutely appalling bar a couple of players

England have been better but it's a sorry indictment upon the Australians that they have been soundly beaten by a team with literally only a few international quality players
Hahaha waaaahhhhh

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tbf Broad kept it tight. The same things that worked last test didn't here because the Aussies applied themselves better. Wouldn't say it was anything alarming but there isn't a side in cricket who wouldn't miss Anderson for more than a one off test
Backup bowling wasn't as good from Wood/Finn as what it was in the 3rd & 4th Tests either.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You could say the same about most of the South African cricket team too. Wasn't Jacques Kallis dating a model at some stage?
Kallis is one of the greatest cricketers of all time, and isn't bad looking. I don't get why this is surprising. Smith's girl ain't surprising either. Leggy blondes are a dime a dozen in South Africa and Australia.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hahaha waaaahhhhh
Really don't see the issue with Social's post tbh. Neither side is good enough to rein back momentum when he other side grabs it. Credit to England for snaring it when they have, but the effort, if you can call it that, of Australia's batting in the last test in particular, was pathetic. You would think after Lord's they'd have learned, but they just regressed in their approach.

If Australia had batted last test as they did in this one, they would probably still have been beaten handily and rolled for a low score, because Broad bowled a fine spell. I don't think Social or anyone else is suggesting all Australia had to do was let a few balls go early to make 500. But it's a fair criticism to say they should have known to knuckle down and apply themselves. It's not that they can't, it's that they can't be ****ed. That's what hurts as a supporter.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Also, weren't you the one furious about the decision to pick him yesterday? :laughing:
Yeah but it wasn't because Siddle wasn't deserving or anything, he was upset mainly because it's a dead rubber and if you aren't playing Cummins now what was the point of bringing him at all?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Looks like Siddle made Warne eat his words.
Tbf to Warne he basically said that he wanted Cummins to play cause it was a dead rubber and to see what he's like, you know what you'll get from Siddle etc.

Edit: Beaten by Smitteh.

adub

International Captain
The thing about TB was that even with the given of the Australian bats going at the ball etc, every single half chance was held. That doesn't happen all that often. Stokes catch was absolute top shelf. Warner's inside edge would more often than not miss the edge or get enough to run down to fine leg for 4. So many times this series Rogers has knicked an early one wide of slips or had it drop short, this time straight into the buckets. It wasn't just a top spell from Broad, but super fielding and a bit of luck all contributed.

But the general story of the series has been that both attacks have been generally adequate with spells of brilliance, but that both sides batting is brittle with only a couple of really class bats in each line up. If the class guys fail then the rest will fold like a cheap suit. It's been a lottery to see which side's batting stars fail or thrive and the result pretty much flows from that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Really don't see the issue with Social's post tbh. Neither side is good enough to rein back momentum when he other side grabs it. Credit to England for snaring it when they have, but the effort, if you can call it that, of Australia's batting in the last test in particular, was pathetic. You would think after Lord's they'd have learned, but they just regressed in their approach.

If Australia had batted last test as they did in this one, they would probably still have been beaten handily and rolled for a low score, because Broad bowled a fine spell. I don't think Social or anyone else is suggesting all Australia had to do was let a few balls go early to make 500. But it's a fair criticism to say they should have known to knuckle down and apply themselves. It's not that they can't, it's that they can't be ****ed. That's what hurts as a supporter.
Lords probably exacerbated the problem, because the Australians got onto a pitch which suited their game and didn't think that they had to change their ways.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The thing about TB was that even with the given of the Australian bats going at the ball etc, every single half chance was held. That doesn't happen all that often. Stokes catch was absolute top shelf. Warner's inside edge would more often than not miss the edge or get enough to run down to fine leg for 4. So many times this series Rogers has knicked an early one wide of slips or had it drop short, this time straight into the buckets. It wasn't just a top spell from Broad, but super fielding and a bit of luck all contributed.

But the general story of the series has been that both attacks have been generally adequate with spells of brilliance, but that both sides batting is brittle with only a couple of really class bats in each line up. If the class guys fail then the rest will fold like a cheap suit. It's been a lottery to see which side's batting stars fail or thrive and the result pretty much flows from that.
Yeah, I think the 60 all out actually wasn't as bad a batting performance, as such, as some of the other capitulations on this tour so far.

I think someone went back through it and Australia played and missed once for the innings? Or at least before the top 7 were out.

social

Exactly

Anyway, having watched 4.5 tests, I am convinced that this is the lowest standard Ashes series that I have ever seen (e.g. I think an argument could be mounted for 8/102 being as bad as 60 all out last test)

You only need to look at the disarray both sides are in when it comes to selections for their next series to know that things aren't great in either camp

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah the standard hasn't been good at all. Look at the cricketers who have enhanced their reputation this series.

Out of the 22 players to start the First Test, I think it is fair to say that only Rogers, Lyon, Root and Broad will be proud of their individual performance. I think Finn will be pleased with himself too but obviously didn't play the first couple of Tests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
l've always loved him, but I genuinely think Lyon has bowled really well this series. Reckon it might have been a bit of a break out for him, even in a losing side.

Stapel

International Regular
Yeah the standard hasn't been good at all. Look at the cricketers who have enhanced their reputation this series.

Out of the 22 players to start the First Test, I think it is fair to say that only Rogers, Lyon, Root and Broad will be proud of their individual performance. I think Finn will be pleased with himself too but obviously didn't play the first couple of Tests.
I would possibly add Warner, Anderson, Stokes and Moeen.