• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I'd be amazed if Jimmy plays.

When Ward was in the dressing room yesterday Jimmy even said I shouldn't laugh because it hurts my side.

It'll be the same team unless it looks like a Bunsen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So Lyth is going to get exactly what Robson got. Ton in second game, then a five match series where he doesn't get dropped. Fair enough, but I'd assume if he doesn't get runs they'll be someone else going to the UAE.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So Lyth is going to get exactly what Robson got. Ton in second game, then a five match series where he doesn't get dropped. Fair enough, but I'd assume if he doesn't get runs they'll be someone else going to the UAE.
Yeah, exactly.

They won't go back to the best option (Compton), so, well, who knows who gets the next crack at opening.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hales probably. He hasn't broken the door down, but he has played fairly well over last two years in red ball cricket.

Kirkut

International Regular
Stuart Broad has been very good this series (so have other England bowlers). Some may say that his 2011 bowling vs India was his best but I believe he has got much better since, the way he set up Cheteshwar Pujara and Vijay at Southampton on a flat pitch showed that he had evolved into a thinking bowler and of course his recent 8 wicket haul was top class.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah Broads length has consistently been excellent this summer, hope it continues as when he is just full of a good length he is a world class seamer.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm not sure Cummins is ready. He recently said he has been bowling 10 overs a day in matches/nets. That's profress but really a test workload is it. I just fear he would break down mid match if it's not another 2 day test.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a good time to be making runs if you're in the Aus A side ATM. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the younger blokes get a gig against the Bangers.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hindsight has such a funny way of determining people's opinion in cricket. Compton is actually a right-handed carbon copy in terms of Lyth's Test career. Tons against NZ surrounded by absolutely bugger all else and a glaring technical fault (Lyth outside off stump, Compton around his front pad)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Admittedly didn't see Lyth's ton but have seen virtually every other innings of his in test cricket and he looks a long way short of the mark to me

Can only assume that his selection for the 5th test would be a case of the selectors simply rewarding players for winning the series as there is precious little to suggest that he will score any runs

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm not sure Cummins is ready. He recently said he has been bowling 10 overs a day in matches/nets. That's profress but really a test workload is it. I just fear he would break down mid match if it's not another 2 day test.
I feel that the rapid breakdown of fast bowlers in recent years has it's root causes in psychological well being. Back in 80's and 90's, I remember bowlers bowled a lot in international and domestic games but still rarely broke down, I believe it's because outside cricket they lived much simpler lives compared to fast paced lifestyle today.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Whilst Compton is far from a perfect player, who else is really an option? You've exhausted bloody everyone at this point and he looks the best of a bad bunch. Would stick with him for a year or two instead of trying to force it with every player who makes a couple of scores in the Championship.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Eh, he's my boi and it's a farce he didn't play an Ashes test in 2013, but his time is done. Might as well try a young player.