• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

91Jmay

International Coach
I would keep the team the same but they could go:

Cook
Hales
Bell
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Rashid
Broad
Wood
Finn

Hales got 85 today which is good timing. I would give Lyth one more go though, if he can't score at the Oval it will be curtains for him for a while.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've heard the saying the team who makes the most runs wins, so Australia have made 2084 while England are on 1930 runs, so a decent showing such as a 150 run loss or a small innings defeat and we will have this one in the bag.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be tempted to bring in Rashid just so he isn't making his debut in UAE. No point rushing Jimmy back, he can put his feet up for the rest of the summer so Rashid for Moeen for this test but tell Moeen he is on the tour and is just rested for this match.

91Jmay

International Coach
Would be tempted to bring in Rashid just so he isn't making his debut in UAE. No point rushing Jimmy back, he can put his feet up for the rest of the summer so Rashid for Moeen for this test but tell Moeen he is on the tour and is just rested for this match.
If it is a dustbowl (and given how Stokes has bowled) could give Finn/Wood a rest and go with two spinners. Not sure what the Oval has been like this year, but it seems perpetual that the '2 spinners at the Oval' talk comes around every summer.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it is a dustbowl (and given how Stokes has bowled) could give Finn/Wood a rest and go with two spinners. Not sure what the Oval has been like this year, but it seems perpetual that the '2 spinners at the Oval' talk comes around every summer.
Yeah if it that dry then 2 spinners is obvious, be some tail with Rashid at 9. :laugh:

I've heard the saying the team who makes the most runs wins, so Australia have made 2084 while England are on 1930 runs, so a decent showing such as a 150 run loss or a small innings defeat and we will have this one in the bag.
What is the current tally in terms of runs per wicket?

Edit: Australia 2084/70: 29.77, Eng 1930/61; 31.64.

For batsmen whose name is not Joe Root, its not been the best series for English batsmen either.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I want both teams to get funky.

ENG:
1. Cook *
2. Ansari
3. Bell
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Moeen
8. Rashid
9. Foster +
10. Broad
11. Finn

AUS:
1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Smith
4. Clarke
5. Voges
6. Turner
7. Nevill +
8. Starc
9. Sandhu
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

With Sandhu channelling his inner Colin Miller again.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In all seriousness, with Lyth rubbish and the usual calls for 2 spinners, Ansari not a completely terrible option on his home ground IMO.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't we once have a team with 11 First-class centurions, think it had Richard Illingworth in at 11. Wasn't much cop. Wait a minute here it is.

On changes I'm pretty split on one hand we clearly have a fair few problem positions and this would seem to be a great time to blood some newbies, but #OTOH, it does seem to be throwing away Ashes wins to people who aren't really deserving.