Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    It is interesting that England fans have generally focused on Lyth's struggles so much more than Buttler's when they've performed very much the same with the bat.

If England wanted to give Rashid a game they could give Bairstow the gloves and drop Jos. Shouldn't happen, just saying it is an alternative.
    In the end Jos has kept well though hasn't he and his overall test record is better then the other JB, who looks an hideous 'keeper the last few times I've seen him. So better keeper them Bairstow, overall better bat then Bairstow or Lyth, so it's not an huge surprise we're not focusing on him, though he has been disappointing with the bat this series.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    122* or 172/1 or 222/2
    I'd back him to do it. He's always seemed to be someone, like Warne, who writes great scripts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    In the end Jos has kept well though hasn't he and his overall test record is better then the other JB, who looks an hideous 'keeper the last few times I've seen him. So better keeper them Bairstow, overall better bat then Bairstow or Lyth, so it's not an huge surprise we're not focusing on him, though he has been disappointing with the bat this series.
    Yeah his keeping has been fine throughout the series. I don't feel as though Jos is a better bat than Jonny but Jos looks like he'd make the opposition pay more when in form.
    Vote for CW top 50 ODI cricketers of all time here

Jos keeping has been fine. Why invent problems?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    It's cricket chat. I just wanted to point out the discrepancy between Lyth out vs Buttler out talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    'cause he's made **** all runs and looked largely terrible every time at the crease? Not advocating dropping him or anything, but it's a fair point to make. Though I guess with Moeen in the team you can maybe carry a keeper without runs as long as his keeping is up to snuff.

THE SEASONS BRING RELIEF. JUST LET ME LIVE AND DIE IN PEACE

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    bring in some you talent without the surname Marsh.

preferably if that surname is Watson and they are actually in their thirties.
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Not the best idea from Lehmann to start looking for EPL tickets on twitter today..
    Jono and Flem274* like this.

surely Furball gets banned for not putting the dates of the test in the opening post? Don't call it Official and then give no details ya bum.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I am going to contradict everything I said when he was first picked and advocate the selection of Cummins in place of MJ

The latter has tried hard and been pretty unlucky but he's 34 and just not that suited to English conditions anyway

Cummins may well turn out to be a future great and if he is fit, one match wont do him any harm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i'd be shocked if cummins and siddle didn't play in the last test. it's just whether Starc is rested/ruled out or if they actually drop MJ. I suppose they could go insane and pick 5 bowlers and bat the keeper at 6 like last time
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Will be annoyed if we select like at the Oval two years ago.

It's the Ashes. Don't take the piss.
    100%. There are no dead rubbers in Ashes cricket so now is no time to be resting/trialing players. Jimmy excepted if the team that played at Trent Bridge is our best 11 then that is the team that should play at the Oval (unless they do think it will take spin)

We want 4-1 here and 3-2 will be a big disappointment after the mauling we've dished out in the last 2 tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith
    We've had a lot of collapses in the last couple of years, I think in our last 15 games we've had 14 collapses or something like that.

Moeen to open is a potential shout. Could give us a chance to have a look at Rashid. With Lyth looking like a walking edge (ironic he's said to be out of nick when all he's done is nick all series) it won't dramatically weaken the batting and potentially solves two problems at a stroke.

Gut feeling is we'll given the follicularly challenged Frenchman The Oval to prove his worth though.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

I'm not convinced about Moeen batting up the order. He makes quick runs, but at test level I think he'd be found out.

Banned
    I don't understand why people want to mess with the team balance to bring in yet another bowler in Rashid. The five bowler combination of Stokes, Ali, Broad with Finn, Wood and Anderson has given England 70 wickets in 4 test matches for 3 wins. That does not need further strengthening.

The batting on the other hand is about 31 runs per wicket for 61 wickets lost. Australia is about 29 runs. English bowlers incl Ali all round performances and Joe Root have won this Ashes. Lyth should be replaced, if by anyone, a batsman, not another bowler or bowling allrounder. Ali at 8 permits England to carry Stokes' batting at 6 with less detriment. Ali is one of the best #8's around after Ashwin.

Sure replace Lyth, but he needs to be replaced with the best batting option to keep England strong in my opinion. Start playing 6 bowlers, and it looks far more fragile than having the class of Ali at 8.
    Last edited by CaptainGrumpy; 09-08-2015 at 04:15 AM.

Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information