• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'd be shocked if cummins and siddle didn't play in the last test. it's just whether Starc is rested/ruled out or if they actually drop MJ. I suppose they could go insane and pick 5 bowlers and bat the keeper at 6 like last time

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be annoyed if we select like at the Oval two years ago.

It's the Ashes. Don't take the piss.
100%. There are no dead rubbers in Ashes cricket so now is no time to be resting/trialing players. Jimmy excepted if the team that played at Trent Bridge is our best 11 then that is the team that should play at the Oval (unless they do think it will take spin)

We want 4-1 here and 3-2 will be a big disappointment after the mauling we've dished out in the last 2 tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Moeen to open is a potential shout. Could give us a chance to have a look at Rashid. With Lyth looking like a walking edge (ironic he's said to be out of nick when all he's done is nick all series) it won't dramatically weaken the batting and potentially solves two problems at a stroke.

Gut feeling is we'll given the follicularly challenged Frenchman The Oval to prove his worth though.

Compton

International Debutant
I'm not convinced about Moeen batting up the order. He makes quick runs, but at test level I think he'd be found out.

I don't understand why people want to mess with the team balance to bring in yet another bowler in Rashid. The five bowler combination of Stokes, Ali, Broad with Finn, Wood and Anderson has given England 70 wickets in 4 test matches for 3 wins. That does not need further strengthening.

The batting on the other hand is about 31 runs per wicket for 61 wickets lost. Australia is about 29 runs. English bowlers incl Ali all round performances and Joe Root have won this Ashes. Lyth should be replaced, if by anyone, a batsman, not another bowler or bowling allrounder. Ali at 8 permits England to carry Stokes' batting at 6 with less detriment. Ali is one of the best #8's around after Ashwin.

Sure replace Lyth, but he needs to be replaced with the best batting option to keep England strong in my opinion. Start playing 6 bowlers, and it looks far more fragile than having the class of Ali at 8.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is probably not good enough to bat in the top 3 but he can play proper innings, in his current role he just doesn't have to. Should definitely be batting above Buttler though. Hope he actually gets some bowling done at the Oval, he really has bowled very few overs this summer and he needs them, UAE is going to be such a huge series for him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the only reason people are suggesting it here are to give Rashid a debut before the UAE tour. Don't think anyone seriously thinks it is how we should play in the future.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
surely Furball gets banned for not putting the dates of the test in the opening post? Don't call it Official and then give no details ya bum.
Checked any of the other opening posts in the other match threads?

flibbertyjibber

I think the only reason people are suggesting it here are to give Rashid a debut before the UAE tour. Don't think anyone seriously thinks it is how we should play in the future.
This, he will be the 2nd spinner in the squad so why not give him a game in a match that counts a bit less as it has already been won before the tough series he will almost certainly play in?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It'd be amazing if England win this one, because that would mean that in the last two years, the best performing away sides in England would be ranked: Sri Lanka, New Zealand, India, Australia. Crazy.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Unreal how the club cricketer they brought in to take the piss was about to win the game when Clarke had a cry.
That evening was absolutely hilarious. Realised he'd made a massive mistake and had to cry off to his Mum to avoid another loss.

Daemon

It'd be amazing if England win this one, because that would mean that in the last two years, the best performing away sides in England would be ranked: Sri Lanka, New Zealand, India, Australia. Crazy.
2 years says **** all though really

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah Starc feigning injury to slow down the over rate, something Boof had been ranting about couple of matches before.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
England squad just come out. Only change is Jimmy for Footit so no funky changes.

Lyth gets one more game I guess unless they do the 2 spinners with Moeen opening.