• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, nine isn't even that amazing actually. Team that beat India at Trent Bridge four years ago had 10.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ali to open, Rashid or Jimmy in for Lyth depending on the pitch.
Don't mind that idea of Ali opening to bring in Rashid, but quite frankly am happy for Jimmeh to rest up for a while, wrap him in cotton wool until the UAE.

91Jmay

International Coach
I would give Lyth one more go, with the series won I think with 7 matches he'd have been given a really fair shake either way.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I would give Lyth one more go, with the series won I think with 7 matches he'd have been given a really fair shake either way.
If he scored a dead rubber hundred on a batting track at the Oval, would you be pleased to keep playing him?

Not sure I would

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is interesting that England fans have generally focused on Lyth's struggles so much more than Buttler's when they've performed very much the same with the bat.

If England wanted to give Rashid a game they could give Bairstow the gloves and drop Jos. Shouldn't happen, just saying it is an alternative.

grecian

If he scored a dead rubber hundred on a batting track at the Oval, would you be pleased to keep playing him?

Not sure I would
TBH, a Test match hundred is a Test match hundred*, in the end if he scored it to go along with the Kiwi one it wouldn't worry me to play him against the UAE, more perturbing would be a scratchy fifty or something.

*gawd I'm profound.

grecian

It is interesting that England fans have generally focused on Lyth's struggles so much more than Buttler's when they've performed very much the same with the bat.

If England wanted to give Rashid a game they could give Bairstow the gloves and drop Jos. Shouldn't happen, just saying it is an alternative.
In the end Jos has kept well though hasn't he and his overall test record is better then the other JB, who looks an hideous 'keeper the last few times I've seen him. So better keeper them Bairstow, overall better bat then Bairstow or Lyth, so it's not an huge surprise we're not focusing on him, though he has been disappointing with the bat this series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the end Jos has kept well though hasn't he and his overall test record is better then the other JB, who looks an hideous 'keeper the last few times I've seen him. So better keeper them Bairstow, overall better bat then Bairstow or Lyth, so it's not an huge surprise we're not focusing on him, though he has been disappointing with the bat this series.
Yeah his keeping has been fine throughout the series. I don't feel as though Jos is a better bat than Jonny but Jos looks like he'd make the opposition pay more when in form.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Jos keeping has been fine. Why invent problems?
'cause he's made **** all runs and looked largely terrible every time at the crease? Not advocating dropping him or anything, but it's a fair point to make. Though I guess with Moeen in the team you can maybe carry a keeper without runs as long as his keeping is up to snuff.

Shady Slim

International Coach
bring in some you talent without the surname Marsh.

preferably if that surname is Watson and they are actually in their thirties.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not the best idea from Lehmann to start looking for EPL tickets on twitter today..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
surely Furball gets banned for not putting the dates of the test in the opening post? Don't call it Official and then give no details ya bum.

social

I am going to contradict everything I said when he was first picked and advocate the selection of Cummins in place of MJ

The latter has tried hard and been pretty unlucky but he's 34 and just not that suited to English conditions anyway

Cummins may well turn out to be a future great and if he is fit, one match wont do him any harm