• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just saw the "highlights" and tbf it was a very good ball

If you want a laugh, checkout Watto's dismissal - dead straight, medium-paced full ball that he played all across

Like an instant replay of so many of his other dismissals
The LBW laureate, as I think Mike Selvey called him.

Think we'll see any changes to the victorious home side?

Can't see Jimmeh being risked in a dead rubber, so the possibilities are Rashid in for Lyth will Mo opening or Rashid in for Jos with Bluey jr taking the gloves.

Actually Beeb reporting Wood has a dodgy ankle, so Plunkers could come in there too.

Gut instinct is unchanged tho.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The LBW laureate, as I think Mike Selvey called him.

Think we'll see any changes to the victorious home side?

Can't see Jimmeh being risked in a dead rubber, so the possibilities are Rashid in for Lyth will Mo opening or Rashid in for Jos with Bluey jr taking the gloves.

Actually Beeb reporting Wood has a dodgy ankle, so Plunkers could come in there too.

Wouldn't be surprised if they just brought Rashid in for Wood given that's the likely balance they'll be going with on their next tour.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The hapless England of the 1980s would have made changes but yes your selectors are light years ahead these days and will almost certainly not make changes barring an injury or Jimmy demanding to play.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wouldn't be surprised if they just brought Rashid in for Wood given that's the likely balance they'll be going with on their next tour.
Yeah, fair shout, actually.

Think the panel want a look at him before the UAE and (apparently, according to Cricket Writers on TV) Bayliss likes a leggie. Although that might just be lazy thinking of the "he's an Aussie, must love a wristy; Tiger, Richie, Warnie, MacGiller..." variety.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cook on Lyth said:
He's an Ashes-winning player and he can be very proud of that.
I found this a weird idea. How do our club cricketers feel about matches/seasons where they were a bit toss but the team won anyway?

Genuine question ftr

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, fair shout, actually.

Think the panel want a look at him before the UAE and (apparently, according to Cricket Writers on TV) Bayliss likes a leggie. Although that might just be lazy thinking of the "he's an Aussie, must love a wristy; Tiger, Richie, Warnie, MacGiller..." variety.
A recent CWOT discussed the similarity of Joe Root and Roger Federer.

It's not the best

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So Anderson and Hazlewood out, confirmed.

Don't mind Jimmy being out that much. Get him right for the UAE.

hazsa19

International Regular
The hapless England of the 1980s would have made changes but yes your selectors are light years ahead these days and will almost certainly not make changes barring an injury or Jimmy demanding to play.
Straight swap with Rashid coming in for Ali imo. As others have said he's going to have to play in the UAE so get him in there. I just don't get why he hasn't played before, he's more chance of taking wickets, and just as good a bat down the order as Ali.

In Asia I'd bring Rashid in for Bairstow, bat Ali at 5 and Rashid down the order.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Straight swap with Rashid coming in for Ali imo. As others have said he's going to have to play in the UAE so get him in there. I just don't get why he hasn't played before, he's more chance of taking wickets, and just as good a bat down the order as Ali.

In Asia I'd bring Rashid in for Bairstow, bat Ali at 5 and Rashid down the order.
In your opinion, it's rather different playing for Yorkshire then England, as Lyth and Ballance have found out.

Anyway we're unchanged and rightly so, don't believe in giving Ashes winning tickets to people who have done nothing to deserve it. In the end Lyth and even Ballance played a small part, mainly catching with Lyth but give him the final Test and we can move on or persevere.

I do think he should get his chance in the UAE, but Rashid is really being hugely over-rated by not playing IMHO. We'll wait and see though

Compton

International Debutant
Rashid's becoming one of those players who gets better the longer he doesn't get called up.

Whilst he's probably a slightly better bowler, he's no where near as good a batsman as Moeen, IMO.