• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for Aussies

Would you rather have/win

• The World Cup

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • The Ashes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I need both (spoilt by success)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Possibly the wrong time to ask the question as I think you may receive emotional answers.

The World Cup should without doubt be held on a higher pedal stool despite Australia winning every 2nd one of them on average and it being limited over cricket.

To put the World Cup prestige in context in part, England has never won the world cup.

The Ashes has the longest history of any test series, and is spoilt with its 5 match series, but the very short history of India v Pakistan does not make it less of a highly impassioned series.

World Cups are every four years and every single cricketing nation has had the opportunity to compete in it.

A team's path to the final, if not the semi finals can in it itself be a fantastic cricketing story of success. Let alone winning it. I cannot think of a single greater day for a cricketer, than to win a World Cup final, except for those Australians who have won two or three.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah definitely the Ashes. However because NZ/SA seem to value the WC so highly, them not having it is pretty good.

Yeah definitely the Ashes. However because NZ/SA seem to value the WC so highly, them not having it is pretty good.
Dean Jones has quite a different view to you.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/how-to-win--or-lose--a-cricket-world-cup-20150204-136mmg.html

World Cups are very hard to win. Australia have won four -1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007 - and there have been 42 Australian cricketers who have won a World Cup (Glenn McGrath, Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting have won three), but people really underestimate how difficult they are to win. Many sporting fans would rather win an AFL or NRL premiership than a World Cup. Many still prefer winning an Ashes series to being world champions. Well, I have been in two teams that have won Ashes campaigns and I will take being a World Cup champion any day of the week!

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...-world-cup-20150204-136mmg.html#ixzz3iD9PYS2y
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I voted I need both.

I'm pretty happy that we won the World Cup at home. With the Test team we've got, there aren't too many Cricketers in our team, that I actually feel too sorry for that we aren't going to win the Ashes. Realistically it is probably only Rogers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Can't be bothered doing another poll, but I'd also be interested in Aussie and Pom hypothetical opinions.

Would you rather:

Have the world no1 ranking but not the Ashes

Or

Have the Ashes but not the no1 ranking

Riggins

International Captain
Hard to say - so much possible variation within the scenarios it could easily be either.

No 8 in the world with the Ashes but losing everywhere else would be way ****ter than being #1 and losing the Ashes, but at they same time being #2 or #3 with some other good series wins and the Ashes would be better, probably.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would you rather a World Cup victory, an Ashes victory or a double ton in India?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No 1 ranking would be worthless if the crime are still knocking you off.

As for WC and the Ashes. For me under normal circumstances I'd rate the Ashes higher but that can change depending on recent history. What I mean is if you asked me this question before 2005 I would say without hesitation the Ashes.......no question about it. But having now had a decade of reasonable Ashes success and still an embarrassing WC record I do think I'd swap this Ashes win for a WC.

burr

State Vice-Captain
It would be an interesting question to ask the current players and have them answer honestly (which will never happen obviously).

Even though test cricket is far and away the more important form of the game I surprised myself by saying World Cup. I guess it’s because a home World Cup is special and may never happen again in my lifetime. There’s always a chance for Ashes redemption in a couple of years.

Plus, I don’t think people should underestimate just how hard World Cups are to win. We’re always ready as Australian fans and media to blast the side when they lose (rightly so) but sometimes we may be guilty of not celebrating the side when they do well.

Flem274*

123/5
Possibly the wrong time to ask the question as I think you may receive emotional answers.

The World Cup should without doubt be held on a higher pedal stool despite Australia winning every 2nd one of them on average and it being limited over cricket.

To put the World Cup prestige in context in part, England has never won the world cup.

The Ashes has the longest history of any test series, and is spoilt with its 5 match series, but the very short history of India v Pakistan does not make it less of a highly impassioned series.

World Cups are every four years and every single cricketing nation has had the opportunity to compete in it.

A team's path to the final, if not the semi finals can in it itself be a fantastic cricketing story of success. Let alone winning it. I cannot think of a single greater day for a cricketer, than to win a World Cup final, except for those Australians who have won two or three.
atg troll

91Jmay

International Coach
I'd rather win the Ashes, but England have been so poor at ODI cricket for so long that a World Cup doesn't even feature in my thoughts. I have some hope for the current side going forward though, and would I sacrifice the next away series (tightly fought 3-2 or something) for a World Cup? Possibly, yes.

Niall

International Coach
I'd rather win the Ashes, but England have been so poor at ODI cricket for so long that a World Cup doesn't even feature in my thoughts. I have some hope for the current side going forward though, and would I sacrifice the next away series (tightly fought 3-2 or something) for a World Cup? Possibly, yes.
Most English people would,it be amazing for England to win the cricket world cup with these young guys playing fearless attacking cricket.