Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: long term Australian XI

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by halba View Post
    whilst i admit he wont be dropped, the other batsmen bar warner will never play test cricket again.
    Mods, ban this poster if this doesn't happen.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Ashton takes a step closer to recall, I wish he hadn't been dropped in the first place, but Lyon will have to up his practice hours
    What's Lyon done wrong as a test bowler?

Agar is a painfully average spinner. No idea why anyone would want to drop Lyon who has caused problems all series long and is generally pretty economical
    hendrix likes this.

Gob
    Halba you are a dumbass
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

International Regular The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    What's Lyon done wrong as a test bowler?
    Lyon's got his spot, I'm ok with him in the side. Just mean he, like the pace bowlers has to keep up his practice to stay ahead of the competition. I also hate when he bowls darts on leg stump line. He still leaks runs doing this, so hopefully he keeps on tossing it up, as he has been this series.
    Agar was hitting the right spots too though. Had a few golden chances go down in his tests, he can bat and field better than Lyon as well.

Lyon's got his spot, I'm ok with him in the side. Just mean he, like the pace bowlers has to keep up his practice to stay ahead of the competition. I also hate when he bowls darts on leg stump line. He still leaks runs doing this, so hopefully he keeps on tossing it up, as he has been this series.
    Agar was hitting the right spots too though. Had a few golden chances go down in his tests, he can bat and field better than Lyon as well.
    I really shouldn't be getting into this conversation because I think it is an absolute joke. But I'd really like to nitpick here and suggest that Agar being an upgrade in the field is talking out of your ass. I can recall one or two drops from Lyon but overall he's absolutely superb in the field, especially for a spin bowler. Several great snares as a close in fielder, including a few at leg gully and some of his outfield work has duly made its way into timeless highlight reels.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    If you are a bowler who bats at #11 people will just assume you're ****e in the field too.

It's strangely opposite to the equal wicket keeper fallacy
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

I don't think he's rubbish, but from what I've seen Agar is a better fielder. Lyon has taken some great catches but so has Agar. Both have similar FC records bowling. Neither has consistently lit up the field in that sense. Again though, Agar's impressed me more with flight and hitting the right areas. Lyon's bowling this Ashes has done the job and as an Aussie I hope he takes a lot more Pommy wickets

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Lyon's FC record is terrible when you remove his Tests. But judging a Test bowler on his FC record instead of his Test one is, well, bizarre.

Agree that Agar is probably a slightly better fieldsman, but Lyon's certainly well above average in the field too.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

International Coach
    Has Agar learned to bowl then? He looked worse than a part timer last time he played.

Agar's one possible option. He earned 3 extra wickets that weren't given to him last time in England, the most obvious being Stuart Broad. He's not beating down the door to an extent to usurp Lyon if Lyon keeps up his bowling as he has. However, if someone does light up the FC scene I would toss Lyon to the curb without a second thought at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Lyon's FC record is terrible when you remove his Tests. But judging a Test bowler on his FC record instead of his Test one is, well, bizarre.

Agree that Agar is probably a slightly better fieldsman, but Lyon's certainly well above average in the field too.
    Judging Australian offies on their domestics is pretty stupid.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Agar's one possible option. He earned 3 extra wickets that weren't given to him last time in England, the most obvious being Stuart Broad. He's not beating down the door to an extent to usurp Lyon if Lyon keeps up his bowling as he has. However, if someone does light up the FC scene I would toss Lyon to the curb without a second thought at this stage.
    Like a Leggie getting a lot of wickets in the Shield final and padding his tally for the season?

Haha no I wouldn't have taken Ahmed based on that one match. Although cleaning up the tail + a few top order scalps was good to see. I have the feeling he'll bowl in Bangladesh

However, if someone does light up the FC scene I would toss Lyon to the curb without a second thought at this stage.
    This is seriously so weird.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information