• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So Ricky Ponting thinks 8 of this Aussie squad will never play test cricket again

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah 3 are obviously done so isn't a massive shout to be honest given the ages of lots of the **** batsmen and the likes of Siddle who won't ever get better conditions in his life and wasn't picked.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say the inferior Darsh brother, Rogers, Siddle, Clarke and Voges (depending on current innings and last test) are the only ones at real risk of never playing again post-ashes.

Watson is the best all-rounder since Sobers, if you ask me he's actually better and is too good to be discarded for long and Haddin I suspect will be turned to again if he doesn't retire at the end of the series/Nevill doesn't do something substantial or at least more convincing with the bat despite being tidy with the gloves.

Clarke will probably stay on too for a bit without the captaincy as a bit of an experiment before he inevitably jumps ship.

mr_mister

yeah it seemed like a more outrageous claim until you saw he included already retired people

HeathDavisSpeed

Surely they'd keep Rogers in there.

Who are the 8 then? The four you've mentioned plus... Clarke, Voges and who else?

HeathDavisSpeed

Are there that many options in Australian cricket for S. Marsh to be categorically thrown on the scrap heap? I guess I always think he's a bit younger than he actually is, but to replace Clarke, Voges, Marsh and Rogers - well, that's a whole lot of new batting to find all at the same time.

Flem274*

123/5
Cameron Merchant and Stewart Rhodes have a few FC games under their belts and Luke Ronchi has more runs against England in one knock than Australia scored in their first innings.

I mean as PEWS would say they're no Sydney Grade players but they could probably reach double figures for the West Island.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Are there that many options in Australian cricket for S. Marsh to be categorically thrown on the scrap heap? I guess I always think he's a bit younger than he actually is, but to replace Clarke, Voges, Marsh and Rogers - well, that's a whole lot of new batting to find all at the same time.
It depends on how highly you view Shaun Marsh really. If you look at his recent form on tour and his Shield performances of late, the answer would be no. But.. if you look at his Test record at the fact that he has reached 20 just 10 times in 27 attempts while averaging 33 you could definitely throw into a scrap heap. The fact that Rogers, Clarke, Voges, Watson have doubts over them though gives Marsh more of an opportunity then he probably does deserve.

Flem274*

123/5
who are you actually going to pick?

Warner
Burns
Smith
um
ah
Mitch
Nevill
Other Mitch
etc

??? Khawaja? Maddinson? Silk?

Burns and co. might be good in two years but it's a bit grim right now.

Redbacks

International Captain
SMarsh is a T20 superstar earning heaps so I'd find it strange if he goes back and focuses purely on having a better technique for the longer form to the detriment T20.

social

who are you actually going to pick?

Warner
Burns
Smith
um
ah
Mitch
Nevill
Other Mitch
etc

??? Khawaja? Maddinson? Silk?

Burns and co. might be good in two years but it's a bit grim right now.
Australia A are currently doing a number on India A in India so the cupboard is hardly bare

Add in the return of Pattinson, Cummins, etc and the future is bright IN AUSTRALIA

Disappointing aspect of this tour is how few players have adapted to foreign conditions AGAIN

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Shaun Marsh is not keeping out anyone who is absolutely belting down the door of selection.

I think that Burns, Bancroft, Khawaja, Handscomb, Lynn, Ferguson, Maddinson and Maxwell are options.

Then there are a few others like Silk, Stoinis and Head who have to make a couple of good 100s to join (and potentially surpass) the 8 names listed above.

I haven't completely ruled out Doolan, Quiney and Bailey but they all would need a Voges like Shield season to join the discussion and at present don't warrant selection. The worst thing about this post is that I feel a bit like WindiesWeathers, saying a young player needs a couple of good scores and we should pick him but it is pretty much the reality if some of the older guys do go and we look for the future.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I have issue with this whole 'Clarke is done' stuff, for the reason that a) he's batted no worse than 5 other guys in the squad (Haddin, Voges, Marsh, Watson, Marsh) and b) he still brings his captaincy to the table.

Does he have long left? Clearly not, but FMD there isn't a whole lot of international-ready batting talent sitting in domestic cricket smashing the door down. When you've got one other middle order spot to fill, a misfiring all-rounder, and a retiring opener, shoving Clarke out of the way seems a bit premature.

Basically, if its Marsh or Clarke to go after this series, make it Marsh discarded.

1. Warner
2. Cowan (seriously, look at the opening options we have; a guy who regularly faces 50+ balls is what we need here)
3. Smith
4. Burns
5. Clarke
6. MMarsh/Batsman
7. Nevill

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think siddle is more likely to play 10 or more tests in the future than MJ is tbh

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Stoinis looking good for a gig at #6 I guess, could be worse options than trialling him in Bangladesh alongside two spinners.

Flem274*

123/5
Just change your name to "West Island" and become part of a winning team.

Well, Warner/Smith/Johnson/Lyon can become part of one. The rest can play some Hawke Cup or Sydney Grade.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have issue with this whole 'Clarke is done' stuff, for the reason that a) he's batted no worse than 5 other guys in the squad (Haddin, Voges, Marsh, Watson, Marsh) and b) he still brings his captaincy to the table.

Does he have long left? Clearly not, but FMD there isn't a whole lot of international-ready batting talent sitting in domestic cricket smashing the door down. When you've got one other middle order spot to fill, a misfiring all-rounder, and a retiring opener, shoving Clarke out of the way seems a bit premature.

Basically, if its Marsh or Clarke to go after this series, make it Marsh discarded.

1. Warner
2. Cowan (seriously, look at the opening options we have; a guy who regularly faces 50+ balls is what we need here)
3. Smith
4. Burns
5. Clarke
6. MMarsh/Batsman
7. Nevill
I did completely forget about Cowan. I wouldn't pick him, but he belongs in the discussion since I did just include about 15 other names. One thing that I agree with is Joe Burns at number 4.

91Jmay

International Coach
Joe Burns has been poorly treated imo, score two half centuries in 2 tests so to not even tour is very stiff (unless he was injured?).