Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: So Ricky Ponting thinks 8 of this Aussie squad will never play test cricket again

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Punter clearly after a commission to write a book

haha Ponting's gone from copping it for his **** Ashes series in England to smashing the current guys for their **** Ashes in England
    _Ed_ likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I love how he's doing it through any medium except for C9
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Match Analysis : Eng v Aus, 4th Investec Test | Ponting: Eight of this side might never play another Test | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

sorry if this was posted elsewhere... but jeez louise. He's referring to post-ashes of course.

This is including Rogers, Harris, Haddin and Watson, though he feels Watson deserves another go. But yeah, overreaction? Or fair?
    Not an over reaction to say that 8 might not (not will not) play another Test after the series.

The only thing that might save them is the lack of replacements, especially in the batting department.

Think he's been quite fair with his analysis so far.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Well with Harris being included and the fact we know Rogers is retiring to start with it isn't a ridiculous a statement. Voges, Haddin and Watson will be lucky to play again and Clarke is on borrowed time so that is 6 without even trying. Presumably the other pair are Siddle and Marsh who are also past 30 and hardly done anything in recent years. All depends how soon the selectors rip it up and start again. At least Johnson will be too old to tour England again.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Still not sold on Smith at 3. In his favour though he's not likely to get conditions like this for a while.
    Hopefully the NZ groundsmen have decided to keep a bit more grass on the pitches in Feb/March

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Well with Harris being included and the fact we know Rogers is retiring to start with it isn't a ridiculous a statement. Voges, Haddin and Watson will be lucky to play again and Clarke is on borrowed time so that is 6 without even trying. Presumably the other pair are Siddle and Marsh who are also past 30 and hardly done anything in recent years. All depends how soon the selectors rip it up and start again. At least Johnson will be too old to tour England again.
    I could see Ahmed not getting more GAMES just because 2nd spinners are like backup wicket keepers in the current team... Especially if he doesn't play in Bangladesh.

Ahmed, Haddin, Johnson, Smarsh, Rogers, Siddle, Voges, Watson, Harris, Clarke is what 10 players I don't see having long careers ahead of them... I could see 6-7 or more not playing again.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

He is fit and has been fit, just omitted. I guess in fairness he only played Tests because Clarke was injured. I'm not sure if you watched his twin 50s but they were in very easy conditions. I was happy for him to make a score, but coming in at 4-415 against India in Australia is going to be easier than the current conditions in England, where Burns has struggled for Middlesex scoring 320 runs @ 29.09 this season.

In saying that, I like Burns but I don't think he was poorly treated, but should be right back in contention definitely and shouldn't have his 'cards marked' or anything from his Test career like others such as Bailey probably have.
    That's fair, my thought process was more that if he was good enough to be picked in a very recent test series then surely he has to be one of the batsmen for the next tour?

Cowan an option short term for Bucky. Burns comes into the middle order. Clarke going means we get to keep watching the selectors favorite Darsh keep playing.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Didn't Marsh have a decent series against India?
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    Hopefully the NZ groundsmen have decided to keep a bit more grass on the pitches in Feb/March
    wow Australia is touring NZ in Feb? so that's 6 Aus-NZ test matches back to back?

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    wow Australia is touring NZ in Feb? so that's 6 Aus-NZ test matches back to back?
    Think it is 3 in Australia, but 2 in NZ, was meant to be three, but cut one for ODIS.

Also both sides will be playing sides in between around Christmas time. Australia will be battering the West Indies in tests and also have a limited over series with India.

Not as sure about NZ, but pretty sure they have Sri Lanka or Pakistan around then. Open to correction though.
    Last edited by Niall; 08-08-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Get Dukes ball into Shield - Ricky Ponting | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting idea but it's not just the balls. You can't make it cloudy
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Get Dukes ball into Shield - Ricky Ponting | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting idea but it's not just the balls. You can't make it cloudy
    Drop in pitches are a bit of a problem too.
    Vote for CW top 50 ODI cricketers of all time here

They used the Duke in a round of 2nd XI games a year back.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information