• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So Ricky Ponting thinks 8 of this Aussie squad will never play test cricket again

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still not sold on Smith at 3. In his favour though he's not likely to get conditions like this for a while.

morgieb

I don't know what to do with Clarke.

I agree that Marsh and Voges should be before him on the chopping block, but I just can't see him scoring significant runs in the future. The issue is with Rogers retiring as well, our batting order is going to look very inexperienced. And I'm not sure if going for say a Ferguson or a Klinger for Clarke will help, given Voges's success so far.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Think siddle is more likely to play 10 or more tests in the future than MJ is tbh
We can only hope

Joe Burns has been poorly treated imo, score two half centuries in 2 tests so to not even tour is very stiff (unless he was injured?).
He is fit and has been fit, just omitted. I guess in fairness he only played Tests because Clarke was injured. I'm not sure if you watched his twin 50s but they were in very easy conditions. I was happy for him to make a score, but coming in at 4-415 against India in Australia is going to be easier than the current conditions in England, where Burns has struggled for Middlesex scoring 320 runs @ 29.09 this season.

In saying that, I like Burns but I don't think he was poorly treated, but should be right back in contention definitely and shouldn't have his 'cards marked' or anything from his Test career like others such as Bailey probably have.

cnerd123

likes this
Haddin Harris and Rogers are done for.

Don't think Watto, Clarke or SMarsh will be discarded just yet.

Voges is borderline - he needs to score will in these last 3 innings.

Siddle might be done for. If he couldn't get a game on this pitch, then I fail to see his role in the side.

Australia A are currently doing a number on India A in India so the cupboard is hardly bare

Add in the return of Pattinson, Cummins, etc and the future is bright IN AUSTRALIA

Disappointing aspect of this tour is how few players have adapted to foreign conditions AGAIN
I think Pattinson is possibly the best bowler in Australia. But the problem with Australia is not the bowling. Everyone knows that Australia can replace the Mitchs or Hazelwood, should they choose too. Cummins is on the tour, but he is a walking injury ward. You still have Bird back home as well. And many more seam bowlers with unlimited potential.

The issue is the batting. And if Rogers retires at the conclusion of the Ashes, the situation gets more bleak.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If it does happen, it will be a gross over reaction.

Not too long ago Mitchell Marsh was being tipped as future captain?

And I don't see a lot of guys who are better than S Marsh, Vogues and Clarke in the middle order to be honest.

Haddin, Watson, Rogers not playing again is understandable although I would probably try to convince Rogers to play another year.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If it does happen, it will be a gross over reaction.

Not too long ago Mitchell Marsh was being tipped as future captain?

And I don't see a lot of guys who are better than S Marsh, Vogues and Clarke in the middle order to be honest.

Haddin, Watson, Rogers not playing again is understandable although I would probably try to convince Rogers to play another year.
Marsh would've only been tipped as that by the sycophantic 9 commentators.

You're right though, until Jake Doran gets a couple of seasons under his belt there's bugger all else.

On Rogers - does the pink (elephant) ball have anything to do with the fact he's retiring before the day-night Test?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Marsh was the under 19 Australia captain, so that would have happen to do with it too.

Pretty sure Rogers said he'd retire long before the Day Night Test was made official. He might change his mind though and just sit out a Test.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
haha Ponting's gone from copping it for his **** Ashes series in England to smashing the current guys for their **** Ashes in England

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Match Analysis : Eng v Aus, 4th Investec Test | Ponting: Eight of this side might never play another Test | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

sorry if this was posted elsewhere... but jeez louise. He's referring to post-ashes of course.

This is including Rogers, Harris, Haddin and Watson, though he feels Watson deserves another go. But yeah, overreaction? Or fair?
Not an over reaction to say that 8 might not (not will not) play another Test after the series.

The only thing that might save them is the lack of replacements, especially in the batting department.

Think he's been quite fair with his analysis so far.

flibbertyjibber

Well with Harris being included and the fact we know Rogers is retiring to start with it isn't a ridiculous a statement. Voges, Haddin and Watson will be lucky to play again and Clarke is on borrowed time so that is 6 without even trying. Presumably the other pair are Siddle and Marsh who are also past 30 and hardly done anything in recent years. All depends how soon the selectors rip it up and start again. At least Johnson will be too old to tour England again.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Well with Harris being included and the fact we know Rogers is retiring to start with it isn't a ridiculous a statement. Voges, Haddin and Watson will be lucky to play again and Clarke is on borrowed time so that is 6 without even trying. Presumably the other pair are Siddle and Marsh who are also past 30 and hardly done anything in recent years. All depends how soon the selectors rip it up and start again. At least Johnson will be too old to tour England again.
I could see Ahmed not getting more GAMES just because 2nd spinners are like backup wicket keepers in the current team... Especially if he doesn't play in Bangladesh.

Ahmed, Haddin, Johnson, Smarsh, Rogers, Siddle, Voges, Watson, Harris, Clarke is what 10 players I don't see having long careers ahead of them... I could see 6-7 or more not playing again.

91Jmay

International Coach
He is fit and has been fit, just omitted. I guess in fairness he only played Tests because Clarke was injured. I'm not sure if you watched his twin 50s but they were in very easy conditions. I was happy for him to make a score, but coming in at 4-415 against India in Australia is going to be easier than the current conditions in England, where Burns has struggled for Middlesex scoring 320 runs @ 29.09 this season.

In saying that, I like Burns but I don't think he was poorly treated, but should be right back in contention definitely and shouldn't have his 'cards marked' or anything from his Test career like others such as Bailey probably have.
That's fair, my thought process was more that if he was good enough to be picked in a very recent test series then surely he has to be one of the batsmen for the next tour?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Cowan an option short term for Bucky. Burns comes into the middle order. Clarke going means we get to keep watching the selectors favorite Darsh keep playing.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Marsh have a decent series against India?