• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think he meant that Australia (in these conditions at least) and England are below par teams in general - comparing them to other teams throughout recent history - and not that their performances had been below their own introspective pars. I don't really agree with him but I don't think he was saying that the teams were below their respective bests.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If neither team were flawed I've no idea what we'd talk about.

The people who lament every single series for not being as good as the best one they've seen should probably just give up watching. Pisses me off to no end. Imagine someone who, every time you went out, would tell you about how he was kind of enjoying the evening but it wasn't as good as this party he had in 1997. You'd soon stop inviting him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He is entitled to his opinion, he is wrong but he is entitled to it.

Aimed at Chopra not Furball by the way.

91Jmay

International Coach
He is entitled to his opinion, he is wrong but he is entitled to it.

Aimed at Chopra not Furball by the way.
Agree, Furball is entitled to nothing.

Also if these two are below par, who in world cricket is the par at the moment? South Africa are so overrated it isn't funny and they play 3 tests a century. India got gubbed by both these two, but would likely do they same to either of them in India. Pakistan might actually be most well rounded team in the world.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Agree, Furball is entitled to nothing.

Also if these two are below par, who in world cricket is the par at the moment? South Africa are so overrated it isn't funny and they play 3 tests a century. India got gubbed by both these two, but would likely do they same to either of them in India. Pakistan might actually be most well rounded team in the world.
Lulz who was New Zealand?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Woakes the most obvious like-for-like? And Onions?

Sidebottom would be the best thing in the world and frankly even bowling at 115kph, pretty sure he'd still be effective.

91Jmay

International Coach
Lulz who was New Zealand?
Yeah New Zealand are as good as anyone, and travelled pretty ok compared to most. England/Aus/Pakistan/NZ/India/SA there is cigarette paper between them all I think.
Woakes has had two 50 over games since he got injured (and not looked good in them). He is nowhere near ready yet.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, although India seem to have fallen off the wagon a bit now in that no one really knows who the bowlers, the wicket keeper and the number 3 will be for next test.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd seriously have considered calling up James Harris for this Test, ahead of Liam bloody Plunkett.

Let's be honest though, if Tymal hadn't pseudo-retired from red ball cricket, it'd be him in the squad.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Isn't Woakes the most obvious like-for-like? And Onions?

Sidebottom would be the best thing in the world and frankly even bowling at 115kph, pretty sure he'd still be effective.
Oh to be Graham Onions, gone but forgotten.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just heard if England win this series Ian Bell will be the first English player ever to play in 5 winning Ashes sides. Anyone know how many Aussies have played in more Ashes wining teams?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just heard if England win this series Ian Bell will be the first English player ever to play in 5 winning Ashes sides. Anyone know how many Aussies have played in more Ashes wining teams?
that's pretty funny considering how maligned he is. Good on ya Belly.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still worry about a Jimmyless attack, even when he's not on it, as long as he's not bowling complete trash then the attack seems to take the lead from him.
Yeah this is generally the case for some reason. But I'd argue that even when he bowls poorly the rest of the attack falls to pieces. Can't have been too many tests that England have won where he has been well below par?

greg

International Debutant
I was thinking this the other day, without the energy to check it - good to have it (Bell's potential record) semi confirmed. I would think that Warne must be the record holder for Australia - theoretically 7 victories out of 8 between 1993 and 2006/7 (or did he miss one through injury/suspension?). McGrath would have won 6 out of 7 from 1994/5 to 2006/7. Healy/Taylor have 6. I would imagine there maybe more from the period 1989 onwards. There must be several with 5. And that's before considering earlier in the century (Bradman had 5 plus one Ashes retaining draw, and he had to miss ten years because of the war!)

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
SR Waugh with 8 I think

91Jmay

International Coach
6 Ashes series so far, 1 dominant series, 1 very good series, 1 decent series , 2 poor ones and 1 horror.

Needs another good one here to make his mark as a real Ashes performer. Averaging 37 with 4 hundreds so far is meh (although 10 games against McGrath/Warne in there doesn't help that).