Page 5 of 165 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree828Likes

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

Footit and Plunkett called up, good choices I think.

Wouldn't mind seeing Footit play myself, reasonably quick, swings it and is a left-armer for variation.

Plunkett, Wood and Finn all very similar IMHO, quick but only good for shortish spells, and go for plenty.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Lyth very fortunate indeed - can't see him or Bairstow making any runs for the rest of the series - they both look like they know it too - sad reality is batsmen need to have something of the arrogant tosser mentality about them to succeed and which the man they call KP has plenty of - not too many around the counties that seem to be of that mould I'm afraid

As for the bowlers desperately hope Footitt gets the gig - looks to me like a decent bowler and, more importantly, I get the feeling he'll be a lucky one

International Coach
    Foottit went with them to Spain so guessing he will get a chance to impress in nets. Wood will be the call though, and rightly so. He has bowled really well in a couple of test matches so far, I like him a lot. Plunkett is **** so we best pray no tall blokes get injured.

Lyth drinking in last chance saloon but I am glad that he gets another chance, that ton against NZ was no fluke imo and whilst he looks hopeless I think it sends a decent message that you get a good chance when you are picked by this England side and given that the alternative is Hales who is just as likely to nick off as Lyth I think that is worth something in the long term.
    Last edited by 91Jmay; 01-08-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's not just that Lyth isn't scoring runs, more he doesn't particularly look like he will even.

Looks a lot looser outside off than I'm happy seeing in a test opener who isn't one of those new-fangled dashers like Warner or Sehwag and Lyth looks more of a grinder, albeit one with an improbably attractive cover drive. His desire to unfurl it may be why he nicks off so often.
    I don't really like this 'X doesn't *look* like scoring runs' line that keeps coming up this summer. Neither did Bell, but then he scored some runs. It happens incredibly regularly. A batsman playing ****e one day doesn't mean he'll play ****e next week too.

Lyth was fairly considered the best of a mediocre bunch two months ago, and all that's really changed since then is Lyth has five more tests under his belt. He's an average player against good bowling so he's not likely to score runs, but neither is anyone else. They're right to stick with him.

International Debutant LegionOfBrad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't really like this 'X doesn't *look* like scoring runs' line that keeps coming up this summer. Neither did Bell, but then he scored some runs. It happens incredibly regularly. A batsman playing ****e one day doesn't mean he'll play ****e next week too.

Lyth was fairly considered the best of a mediocre bunch two months ago, and all that's really changed since then is Lyth has five more tests under his belt. He's an average player against good bowling so he's not likely to score runs, but neither is anyone else. They're right to stick with him.
    Win, lose or draw if he fails at TB he won't play at the oval imo.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Lyth'll play the series out then be discarded IMO. It is the pattern, after all.

Compton dumped after NZ/before the Ashes. Root moved down between Ashes series, Carberry shafted at the end of 13/14, Robson gets the home summer then discarded, Trott gets a series and is dropped for good, now Lyth will get his home summer and be sent packing.

The grass is always greener, and the wheel is forever.
    Pratters and zorax like this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Trott retired [/pedant]
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Lyth'll play the series out then be discarded IMO. It is the pattern, after all.

Compton dumped after NZ/before the Ashes. Root moved down between Ashes series, Carberry shafted at the end of 13/14, Robson gets the home summer then discarded, Trott gets a series and is dropped for good, now Lyth will get his home summer and be sent packing.

The grass is always greener, and the wheel is forever.
    Compton was harshly treated, but I also don't think he'd have worked long term with that technique (he got bowled like Lyth nicks off). Although chopping and changing sucks, so do those players mentioned to be honest.

"Not looking like scoring runs" is the polite version of "not quite there at this level", isn't it? Lyth has pretty much spent the series nervously fishing outside off until he gets one to bite.

His retention is a bit of a no lose gamble by the selectors. If he succeeds, happy days; if he fails and the urn is regained he'll get one more go/valedictory lap of honour at the Oval; if he fails and the series is live the call to the shires will go out.

Some lucky chap will get the chance to do a Trott.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Other than Sidearse (who surely won't be up to bowling a Test workload), who would be the most like for like replacement for Anderson?
    Sidebottom did actually retire from international cricket.

It's a really hard question to answer though. You'd expect there to be a swing bowler among the guys doing well in county cricket, but it's mainly been accurate seam bowlers like Rushworth and Harris, who probably would've been really effective at Edgbaston but don't fit the traditional swing stereotype of Trent Bridge/Anderson. Theegyptian said Rushworth was the most Anderson-like bowler in the domestic thread and I clicked reply so I could disagree and point out that Rushworth isn't much of a swing bowler, but then I couldn't actually think of anyone who really did fit the 'poor man's Anderson' description. The answer could well be Wood or Brooks which says a lot.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 01-08-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Tom Bailey swings the ball and has come on a lot this season - not really ready yet of course, but the idea of the Preston Express replacing the Burnley Express appeals to me - might cause some stress at Turf Moor though

Rushworth is more like Onions. Close to the wicket compact action etc.

Afaik there is no one around in the counties ATM who was like Jimmy was when starting out with the ability to hoop it. He is a complete freak though in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sidebottom did actually retire from international cricket.
    I know but he's still the bowler that I'm aware of who's closest to Jimmy in terms of style.
    Prince EWS likes this.

And as has been pointed out if the call went out to Sexy Chocolate to roll his arm over one last time to help win the Ashes he'd rescind his retirement in seconds.

Imagine the call going out to him and Compo for the oval. This place would explode.

Lewis Gregory is similar to Jimmeh in style obviously.
    Prince EWS likes this.

Page 5 of 165 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information