Page 4 of 165 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree828Likes

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Will be disappointed if they don't pick Hales on home turf - if nothing else he'll hopefully provoke Warner into scaling new heights of stupidity

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Bring in Watson for Voges. I would take LBW for 30 in both innings at 6 plus a few overs.

International Regular Swingpanzee's Avatar
    we need Clarke to bat at 5, not that it will make a huge difference the way he's batting right now I'd even put him at 7. Voges should be gone to and SMarsh should take his place.

Rogers
    Warner
    Smith
    SMarsh
    Clarke
    Nevill - instead of Marsh at 6, can't believe how Marsh batted ahead of him especially given that Nevill is an accumulator
    MMarsh
    Johnson
    Starc
    Lyon
    Haze

Starc's fifty kinda made up for some piss bowling. Haze a real worry too, he's got some wickets to flatter his figures but he's not performing his duty which is to shut down runs.

With Jimmy injured we absolutely have to capitalize
    Last edited by Swingpanzee; 01-08-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    TB without Jimmy is going to be very interesting..........massive, massive loss for us.

Finns performance in Birmingham was very encouraging, if he can repeat that then I think we can cover Jimmy...........if he has a poor one (which is just as likely) then our attack is going to be very toothless.

Funny, Broad seems to be a lot more consistent these days, which is great as we don't see too much puss from him, but it also seems like we're not going to get his wonder sessions either where he rips the heart out of a side in a session.

Yeah, Broad is due a wonder test, so next week would be perfect. I was tempted to mention it being his home ground, but he's probably only played about half a dozen county games there since he joined Notts.

There was an interesting interview with Richard Johnson, who's spent a lot of time with Finn at Middlesex this summer. Apparently some of the things Finn's been showing off at Edgbaston (little things like swinging the ball and seaming it away from tight handers) he's only done a couple of times even at county level. But he's clearly a far superior model to what we saw before, which is wonderful to behold. Quite how Nevill survived his first few overs against Finn on Day 2 is beyond me, and then we really would have seen a two day test. Which would have been fun.

As for Jimmy's replacement, I suppose Wood is the favourite. I'm not totally convinced, and I think he's slightly over-rated (1) because he's so obviously likeable and (2) because he's better than Chris Jordan. If Woakes had been back playing for longer I'd rather see him swinging it at Trent Bridge, but Wood is probably the likelier bet for now.
    Pratters likes this.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Yeah tbh, I don't have too much faith in whoever it is they end up bringing in. For me it will ride on Finn and Broad getting the job done and just hope hope Stokes and X are serviceable.

Dobell on Cricinfo mentions six possibles in the frame: Wood, Woakes, Plunkett, Foottit, Brooks and Rushworth. Guess CJ's star has waned somewhat.

Tend to agree with wpd that Wood is most likely (although it should be noted his average is nigh on 40 after four tests) but Brooks or Rushworth might get a squad spot at least in an old styley horses for courses type pick.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

He has bowled on a lot of flat pitches though. I like Wood a lot, one bad game at Lords, where all our bowlers struggled, seems to have turned a lot of people against him.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    If you're looking at "horses for courses" selections Glen Chapple worth an overdue debut imo

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Dobell on Cricinfo mentions six possibles in the frame: Wood, Woakes, Plunkett, Foottit, Brooks and Rushworth. Guess CJ's star has waned somewhat.

Tend to agree with wpd that Wood is most likely (although it should be noted his average is nigh on 40 after four tests) but Brooks or Rushworth might get a squad spot at least in an old styley horses for courses type pick.

My pet theory about Footit is that he appeals to a certain strand of traditionalist who regret the CC being split into two divisions and want to see guys from the 3rd rate sides in the test team to reinforce their world view. Whether he's actually good enough is almost a secondary issue.

Plunkett could have got my vote, but last time I looked he's 2nd or 3rd change for Yorkshire, which doesn't scream that he should be in the test team right now.

I don't know much about Rushworth or Brooks. I am old enough to remember some horses for course selections coming off in the past - Kirtley & Bicknell about 12 years ago, and Mallender & Watkin about 10 years before then - so I'm not totally against it so long as conditions really do justify that sort of pick. But if the earlier post about Trent Bridge not swinging like it used to is correct, I worry that Rushworth or Brooks would be cannon fodder.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Is Jordan back playing again yet?

No.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Other than Sidearse (who surely won't be up to bowling a Test workload), who would be the most like for like replacement for Anderson?
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

On the opener's spot I genuinely don't know. I want them to just pick someone and stick with them rather than just revolve the opener every summer and Lyth did make a century against the best team in the world* at Headingley. He just doesn't look up to it at the moment though, but the question is, who does? Last time I checked the Division 1 averages, all the top run scorers were middle order players.

It's not just that Lyth isn't scoring runs, more he doesn't particularly look like he will even.

Looks a lot looser outside off than I'm happy seeing in a test opener who isn't one of those new-fangled dashers like Warner or Sehwag and Lyth looks more of a grinder, albeit one with an improbably attractive cover drive. His desire to unfurl it may be why he nicks off so often.

Page 4 of 165 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread Information