• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lack of perceived options means Lyth will get another chance?
Probably, I'd ditch him myself, because he doesn't look up to it, rather than just getting out.

Think if we lose and he fails at TB, we'll bring in Hales though, we'll need to win the final Test to get the Ashes back, and the Oval is a pitch that stroke-players can thrive on. Think Rashid may get a look in too, a leg spinner may do well on a bouncy pitch.

Yet I hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The most likely outcome for replacing Lyth if there's no obvious options is surely a makeshift opener? I guess there's aren't a ton of prolific middle order choices either though.

Personally I feel like Lyth has to go, even if it's for a pretty left field pick. Unlike say Voges, who I think is struggling but could make runs, I just don't think Lyth is going to. He looks terrible out there.

Think I'd do S. Marsh to 4 too.

grecian

The most likely outcome for replacing Lyth if there's no obvious options is surely a makeshift opener? I guess there's aren't a ton of prolific middle order choices either though.

Personally I feel like Lyth has to go, even if it's for a pretty left field pick. Unlike say Voges, who I think is struggling but could make runs, I just don't think Lyth is going to. He looks terrible out there.

Think I'd do S. Marsh to 4 too.
I wouldn't mind Bell opening oddly enough, as he's done it in one-day stuff, butow he's done well at 3 I don't see that happening.

James Taylor is an obvious middle-order choice, and perhaps number 3 if they shifted Bell to opener

FBU

International Debutant
Trent Bridge doesn't swing that much any more. That new stand changed things.

fredfertang

Will be disappointed if they don't pick Hales on home turf - if nothing else he'll hopefully provoke Warner into scaling new heights of stupidity

Redbacks

International Captain
Bring in Watson for Voges. I would take LBW for 30 in both innings at 6 plus a few overs.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
we need Clarke to bat at 5, not that it will make a huge difference the way he's batting right now I'd even put him at 7. Voges should be gone to and SMarsh should take his place.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
SMarsh
Clarke
Nevill - instead of Marsh at 6, can't believe how Marsh batted ahead of him especially given that Nevill is an accumulator
MMarsh
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Haze

Starc's fifty kinda made up for some piss bowling. Haze a real worry too, he's got some wickets to flatter his figures but he's not performing his duty which is to shut down runs.

With Jimmy injured we absolutely have to capitalize

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
TB without Jimmy is going to be very interesting..........massive, massive loss for us.

Finns performance in Birmingham was very encouraging, if he can repeat that then I think we can cover Jimmy...........if he has a poor one (which is just as likely) then our attack is going to be very toothless.

Funny, Broad seems to be a lot more consistent these days, which is great as we don't see too much puss from him, but it also seems like we're not going to get his wonder sessions either where he rips the heart out of a side in a session.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Broad is due a wonder test, so next week would be perfect. I was tempted to mention it being his home ground, but he's probably only played about half a dozen county games there since he joined Notts.

There was an interesting interview with Richard Johnson, who's spent a lot of time with Finn at Middlesex this summer. Apparently some of the things Finn's been showing off at Edgbaston (little things like swinging the ball and seaming it away from tight handers) he's only done a couple of times even at county level. But he's clearly a far superior model to what we saw before, which is wonderful to behold. Quite how Nevill survived his first few overs against Finn on Day 2 is beyond me, and then we really would have seen a two day test. Which would have been fun.

As for Jimmy's replacement, I suppose Wood is the favourite. I'm not totally convinced, and I think he's slightly over-rated (1) because he's so obviously likeable and (2) because he's better than Chris Jordan. If Woakes had been back playing for longer I'd rather see him swinging it at Trent Bridge, but Wood is probably the likelier bet for now.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah tbh, I don't have too much faith in whoever it is they end up bringing in. For me it will ride on Finn and Broad getting the job done and just hope hope Stokes and X are serviceable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dobell on Cricinfo mentions six possibles in the frame: Wood, Woakes, Plunkett, Foottit, Brooks and Rushworth. Guess CJ's star has waned somewhat.

Tend to agree with wpd that Wood is most likely (although it should be noted his average is nigh on 40 after four tests) but Brooks or Rushworth might get a squad spot at least in an old styley horses for courses type pick.

Pothas

He has bowled on a lot of flat pitches though. I like Wood a lot, one bad game at Lords, where all our bowlers struggled, seems to have turned a lot of people against him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dobell on Cricinfo mentions six possibles in the frame: Wood, Woakes, Plunkett, Foottit, Brooks and Rushworth. Guess CJ's star has waned somewhat.

Tend to agree with wpd that Wood is most likely (although it should be noted his average is nigh on 40 after four tests) but Brooks or Rushworth might get a squad spot at least in an old styley horses for courses type pick.

My pet theory about Footit is that he appeals to a certain strand of traditionalist who regret the CC being split into two divisions and want to see guys from the 3rd rate sides in the test team to reinforce their world view. Whether he's actually good enough is almost a secondary issue.

Plunkett could have got my vote, but last time I looked he's 2nd or 3rd change for Yorkshire, which doesn't scream that he should be in the test team right now.

I don't know much about Rushworth or Brooks. I am old enough to remember some horses for course selections coming off in the past - Kirtley & Bicknell about 12 years ago, and Mallender & Watkin about 10 years before then - so I'm not totally against it so long as conditions really do justify that sort of pick. But if the earlier post about Trent Bridge not swinging like it used to is correct, I worry that Rushworth or Brooks would be cannon fodder.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Is Jordan back playing again yet?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Other than Sidearse (who surely won't be up to bowling a Test workload), who would be the most like for like replacement for Anderson?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On the opener's spot I genuinely don't know. I want them to just pick someone and stick with them rather than just revolve the opener every summer and Lyth did make a century against the best team in the world* at Headingley. He just doesn't look up to it at the moment though, but the question is, who does? Last time I checked the Division 1 averages, all the top run scorers were middle order players.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's not just that Lyth isn't scoring runs, more he doesn't particularly look like he will even.

Looks a lot looser outside off than I'm happy seeing in a test opener who isn't one of those new-fangled dashers like Warner or Sehwag and Lyth looks more of a grinder, albeit one with an improbably attractive cover drive. His desire to unfurl it may be why he nicks off so often.