• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

Compton

International Debutant
Warner
Rogers
Smith
S Marsh
Clarke
Nevill
M Marsh
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Marsh deserves his chance and Voges just isn't going to cut it at Test level. He's as well batting higher up the order where he can protect Clarke, who looks desperate to bat at 5 again. Mitch Marsh looks like he's batting a place too high, IMO. Starc doesn't deserve to play the next match, but I just don't see the selectors calling up Siddle or Cummins to replace him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Had a random thought about Onions for this. TB should be his kinda ground and he is/was the closest thing we have to a poor man's Jimmeh.

Not even sure if Onions is still a thing even though.

Lyth has to go too, surely? Not making 40 once in six digs isn't cutting the Coleman's at this level.

Hales to debut at home? The script is written. Notoriously dire starter though he may be.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
marsh stays at 6 imo, it's where he'll be for a while so needs to be given time to make it his own

smarsh in for voges at 4 and clarke down to 5 is the obvious change that needs to be made, aside from that this is our strongest team with the players available and one poor test doesn't change that

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Had a random thought about Onions for this. TB should be his kinda ground and he is/was the closest thing we have to a poor man's Jimmeh.

Not even sure if Onions is still a thing even though.

Lyth has to go too, surely? Not making 40 once in six digs isn't cutting the Coleman's at this level.

Hales to debut at home? The script is written. Notoriously dire starter though he may be.
Last time I checked the county averages Onions was doing pretty pish (yes I know the averages aren't the be all and end all.)

Funnily enough, just before Jimmeh got injured I kinda thought this series might turn out a bit like the India series last season - after defeat at Lord's we get swinging conditions and an opposition lineup that can't handle Anderson and Broad at their best.

Stokes needs to step up his game; I don't follow County Cricket to know who the obvious replacement for Anderson is. As long as it's not Jordan.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It'll be gamble whoever basically. I think they'll go Wood now and that's probably right. Before this test I'd have been really worried about Wood, Finn, Stokes, Ali as none give control and Finn is the only proven wickettaker(and that had to be reproven) but as FInn bowled so well this game I think they'll be slightly more confident that the attack won't totally lose the plot.

If Woakes had played more cricket they might of have thought about picking him and dropping Ali in favour of whoever they consider the best spinner.
I still worry about a Jimmyless attack, even when he's not on it, as long as he's not bowling complete trash then the attack seems to take the lead from him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Onions not even playing for Durham in one-day stuff, actually he bizarrely played against England under-19s for the Unicorns the last few days, suffice to say he isn't what he was.

Bresnan actually through all the HZ baiting, would make much more sense. Swings it great record at Trent Bridge, playing ok for Yorkshire.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Said it all summer, without Anderson we must call for Sidebottom. I mean seriously how great would that be.

Wood should be fine though, he has been rather unfortunate in missing the Test that has had the best conditions for bowling.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
***y chocolate is technically retired as an international.

He's an absolute champ though. Held the team together in the late 2000s.

I would love a near 40 yr old to bowl us to victory in the Ashes, and would be a great middle finger to Duncan Fletcher who refused to pick him for all those years.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Australia can win this given Anderson is missing. If that happens, 5th test can get really interesting.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Said it all summer, without Anderson we must call for Sidebottom. I mean seriously how great would that be.

Wood should be fine though, he has been rather unfortunate in missing the Test that has had the best conditions for bowling.
Heh, thought this earlier but didn't post it through fear of ridicule

Let's start a petition

Howe_zat

Audio File
Haha, Sidebottom would actually be a really good fit for the attack, sadly can't bowl a Test workload now

Howe_zat

Audio File
If they did look north then Jack Brooks might be a good shout. Needs some assistance from conditions but nowhere near as much as Rushworth. Has bowled for the Lions and has 3 top quality seasons in a row

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Times like these I'm glad for back to back Tests. Stops us running out of names.

The wait between the 4th and 5th in 09 and Ravi's successor was particularly excruciating

Howe_zat

Audio File
Times like these I'm glad for back to back Tests. Stops us running out of names.

The wait between the 4th and 5th in 09 and Ravi's successor was particularly excruciating
Mark Ramprakash genuinely tweeted 'defecating in a packet to send to geoff miller' when the 5th test side was announced

in a series with great moments that was one of my favourites