• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I honestly think it kinda depends. I do think you need to look to score, there's a reason why all the best batsmen are pretty attacking minded players. The "intent" thing isn't complete crap or anything, however overplayed it might be. Sometimes I think cricket fans (of the more serious variety) get in the mindset of thinking that if people just didn't play any aggressive shots they'd never get out, so any dismissal going hard at the ball is a wasted wicket. At the same time there's a world of difference between Warner style idiocy and just batting to survive.
Nah come on, I'm all for a counter-attack but the idea that the best way to bat in England against the moving ball is to play your shots goes against every single bit of history of how to bat here. You play the ball on the merit, so if its there to hit for 4 sure. But he basically said he was pre-determined to attack.

If he just said "it was a bad ball I wanted to hit it for 4" then yeah sure. But he actually said he wanted to bat with an aggressive mindset to deal with the good bowling.

E.g. what Clarke is saying is different to Root's knock in the first test, which was just hitting crap balls for 4.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I never want to hear Shane Warne and Ian Healy talk about domestic cricket again. They barely know the names.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nah come on, I'm all for a counter-attack but the idea that the best way to bat in England against the moving ball is to play your shots goes against every single bit of history of how to bat here. You play the ball on the merit, so if its there to hit for 4 sure. But he basically said he was pre-determined to attack.

If he just said "it was a bad ball I wanted to hit it for 4" then yeah sure. But he actually said he wanted to bat with an aggressive mindset to deal with the good bowling.
I think it depends what you mean by "aggressive mindset" I guess. I think you can play attacking cricket without trying to hit everything for four. But anyway yeah I do think Clarke genuinely believes that and I think Ponting etc did too. That the best way to deal with good bowling is to look to be positive etc and not get bogged down just trying to not get out. I think taken in the right way it's pretty reasonable but obviously it can be really overstated and commentators do it a lot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it depends what you mean by "aggressive mindset" I guess. I think you can play attacking cricket without trying to hit everything for four. But anyway yeah I do think Clarke genuinely believes that and I think Ponting etc did too. That the best way to deal with good bowling is to look to be positive etc and not get bogged down just trying to not get out. I think taken in the right way it's pretty reasonable but obviously it can be really overstated and commentators do it a lot.
I guess its why they both stunk it up in Eng :ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL Aussies are so bad at handling sledging. Warne now whining about Root and Cook giving it to Clarke..
But when we want Jimmeh to get a broken ****ing arm, then it's just the way we play this game

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Root has the perfect face and demeanour to be such an annoying sledger :laugh: Like instead of just being a pure bogan dick like Warner or ****y prick like Kohli, he's just got this whiny brat MO. WAG

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the runs tend to start flowing freely in England if you stay at the crease long enough. The way to build an innings is to leave well early on and accelerate later. It's not a coincidence that England's test-number-one side was ultra-defensive at the top and got gradually more attacking as you moved down the order.

It's not like Australia don't know this, it's exactly how Smith+Rogers built a big score at Lord's. Of course you have to balance it with your own strengths, no one expects Warner to start batting like Boycott, but the Cult of Intent definitely isn't going to get the job done for them in England.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I feel like everytime I'm watching Healy is commentating by the way. Is it me or is he on a lot for Channel 9?