View Poll Results: Where to bowl to Smitteh?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight

5 29.41%
  • Wide

11 64.71%
  • Straight early, wide once set (the cop-out option)

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Where to bowl to Steve Smith?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Nowhere near as good? I don't think that's true. He clearly prefers to play on the leg side, but he doesn't go to extreme lengths to do so to balls than can more easily be played on the off. If he did, he wouldn't score so many runs. Like any batsman, if you bowl tight to him you won't get pumped, but it's not as simple as just bowling 4th or 5th stump and watching him try to hit everything on the on side. 'Playing around his pad' suggests he plants his foot and plays around his front leg, something he doesn't often do.
    I think nowhere near as good is fair. He's happy to play off-side shots and does so very well but he'll still make far more mistakes doing so than he does playing leg-side.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Hmmm, after Finn's effort today (good line and length, seaming away), I really do think that the leg stump half volley with three short mid wickets is the most logical option.
    Son Of Coco likes this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I think nowhere near as good is fair. He's happy to play off-side shots and does so very well but he'll still make far more mistakes doing so than he does playing leg-side.
    Unless he starts defending length balls outside off that move away from him by shuffling across and playing them to midwicket, you may be right.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    If there's one thing that typifies Smith it's that he's adaptable so bowling wide of off all the time will just turn him into the world's best off-side player. Guys like Smith, right now, about the best you can do is introduce doubt in his decision about whether to play to the off or leg or whether to attack or defend. There's no obvious vulnerability, just tactics.

I mean have a look at his recent outs. Aside from scoring a mother truckload of runs, he's been stumped a couple of times, LBW trying to reverse sweep a spinner and nicked out a couple of times early, something every batsman ever is vulnerable to. Got bowled a couple of times against India after scoring a ton or two, even managed to get run out. About the only pattern in that lot is that, at some stage, he may get out if he gets bored enough.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 29-07-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    indiaholic likes this.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    You bowl to him the same way as 99% of other batsmen early on. Just outside off, try and make him play as much as you can and if he doesn't play at least don't give him free runs and make him chase bat on ball. If he gets set there's other things you can try but that's definitely the best way to get him early and Finn showed it quite well.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    You bowl to him the same way as 99% of other batsmen early on. Just outside off, try and make him play as much as you can and if he doesn't play at least don't give him free runs and make him chase bat on ball. If he gets set there's other things you can try but that's definitely the best way to get him early and Finn showed it quite well.
    Yeah, it's just that it's an extra couple of stumps further outside off, because you can be taken from just outside off stump through the leg side.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah, I think there's a tendency to get too funky with plans to specific batsmen.

Use the new ball for what new balls are for, then, if they survive, try out the highly-specific bowling plans.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah, I think there's a tendency to get too funky with plans to specific batsmen.

Use the new ball for what new balls are for, then, if they survive, try out the highly-specific bowling plans.
    Yeah I thought this earlier when Ponting was asking why they hadn't bounced Rogers more. James Anderson was bowling, the ball was new, there was grass on the wicket and clouds in the sky. Bowling short would have been madness, there's a time to just play to your own strengths.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    ah there is this strategy england used before to nullify a great batsman, what was it called...

involved deliveries to the leg side, ah...

the captain was doug sardine or something, **** me what was the name of the strategy...

er, lengthline?

Cricket Web Staff Member MW1304's Avatar
    Hexxagon Champion!
    Smeg theory.
    Shady Slim likes this.

Yeah I pretty much agree with Vic here. It's so much that you should bowl consciously wide, but that a good line to Smith is a touch wider than it is to most batsmen because of how he sets himself up. This isn't a silver bullet -- Smith's a good batsmen, he's going to score runs a lot of the time -- but it's the best way to bowl to him.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    All systems of government are therefore totalitarian dictatorships in disguise

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That goes for almost every batsman not called Phillip Hughes tbh
    Son Of Coco likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I would try a short leg and/or leg gully, and bowl straight.
    And a silly mid on.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    He's a definite LBW candidate when he gets set in my opinion. Showed this clearly in the West Indies.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Bowl left armers at him angling across him and get him caught in the slips. When nz plays it will be boult's job to get him out. Smith will probably win that battle as boult is still young and doesn't bowl with enough wisdom yet. However a good left armer can stop him shuffling across his stumps and expose his off side weaknesses.

I have no faith we will get him out and I doubt we will develop any plans for him however. Our efforts will consist of bowling like pews said which inevitably result in him tonning up 50% of the time.

If teams weren't cognitively challenged then they would set some leg side traps to him and work over his technique in a thorough test.

But most teams are stupid so I don't see anyone trying anything inventive other than just hoping he gets himself out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information