• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bell-Root-Ballance as 3-5 works for me. I've been one of those saying don't move Root as it's working, but him getting the same runs one position higher is perfectly plausible and could make a big difference. Imagine him coming in, steadying the ship with Cook or whoever, at 2 down for not many, and then when a wicket falls there's still Ballance to come in against an older ball, rather than the all-rounders straight away.

91Jmay

International Coach
Buttler is a worry for me. That nick off outside off stump looks simple for Aussies at the moment. Clearly he stays in the team for a long while, but he needs to find a way to combat it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
People have always kind of taken Buttler's batting for granted in tests. Which I've always thought was a bit weird because he never really set the world alight at Taunton.

Gob

International Coach
Bell-Root-Ballance as 3-5 works for me. I've been one of those saying don't move Root as it's working, but him getting the same runs one position higher is perfectly plausible and could make a big difference. Imagine him coming in, steadying the ship with Cook or whoever, at 2 down for not many, and then when a wicket falls there's still Ballance to come in against an older ball, rather than the all-rounders straight away.
clarke-getty2002-630.jpg

91Jmay

International Coach
People have always kind of taken Buttler's batting for granted in tests. Which I've always thought was a bit weird because he never really set the world alight at Taunton.
He has runs once in pressure situation for England (NZ at Lords). He belted India around in basically a T20 situation, and he went ok in the Windies but nothing more. As I said he stays in the side for a long time but he needs runs as well.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root at 4 is ideal really, the problem is Bell at 3. He has pretty much always been crap there and he is in terrible form.

91Jmay

International Coach
James Taylor 249* puts some serious pressure on Bell/Ballance.
Bell/Taylor/Root wouldn't upset me at all. I'd tell Bell to come out and play shots at 3, he hit himself into some form at Cardiff just hope he can do so again. We have so few top order options that we have to take a gamble I think.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Root at 4 is ideal really, the problem is Bell at 3. He has pretty much always been crap there and he is in terrible form.
I don't really believe in this, but it might give him a moral boost and make him take responsibility. I mean, he could hardly do worse.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just looked up the Division 1 country averages. Bairstow coming in makes sense, he's second, only behind....Ian Bell. Oh. Compton, Hales and Borthwick also averaging about the same as Broad, while Bresnan is 5th with two 100s.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just looked up the Division 1 country averages. Bairstow coming in makes sense, he's second, only behind....Ian Bell. Oh. Compton, Hales and Borthwick also averaging about the same as Broad, while Bresnan is 5th with two 100s.
County averages seem to be really bowler-friendly this season I've noticed.

Pothas

A grand total one innings for Bell. Take the point though, I have no doubt that Bell would score a load of runs if he went back to county cricket. No matter what way you look at it though Bairstow's numbers are impressive. As I said before if it was anyone else (ok maybe Luke Wright) we would be demanding his selection.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Everytime Ian Bell has been dropped by England he goes back to Warwickshire and gets a boatload of runs.
Has he? The only time I can remember him being dropped was 2009. I know he was brought back towards the end of that summer's ashes, but my impression at the time was his county performances were respectable rather than jaw-dropping. Might be wrong though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A grand total one innings for Bell. Take the point though, I have no doubt that Bell would score a load of runs if he went back to county cricket. No matter what way you look at it though Bairstow's numbers are impressive. As I said before if it was anyone else (ok maybe Luke Wright) we would be demanding his selection.
It's because he plays across the line to straight balls. People who think weight of runs should trump technical flaws probably don't want Ballance dropped anyway.

Pothas

Oh yeah I agree, that is why we are not all calling for his selection. Unless he has stopped doing that of course, you would hope the selectors would know.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh yeah I agree, that is why we are not all calling for his selection. Unless he has stopped doing that of course, you would hope the selectors would know.
They probably do know; it's whether they care that's at stake here really.