• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think I'd make any changes to the England team.

Lyth scored a century 3 tests ago against Southee and Boult. Ballance - although I don't rate him at all - scored a half century and also dined out in the Windies.

Bell; well perhaps bringing in Taylor is an option?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Might be worth switching Bell and Root. It breaks up Lyth, Ballance, Bell but doesn't put Root at 3.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
i'm all in for root at 3. if anyone who can adapt there, it's root. he got all the game to play there. can understand why england and many fans dont want him to be moved from 5 though. ballance at 5 is not a bad idea.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think I'd make any changes to the England team.

Lyth scored a century 3 tests ago against Southee and Boult. Ballance - although I don't rate him at all - scored a half century and also dined out in the Windies.

Bell; well perhaps bringing in Taylor is an option?
I don't think you can persist with Ballance any longer. The holes in his technique are just so obvious and easy to exploit, especially by the standard of bowlers that the Aussies have in their stable. Agree with Spark that at the very least he has to shift down to number 5 (with Root coming up to 3). But given that he's been averaging about 17 this summer (and looked appaullingly bad while doing it) I don't think that'll help too much, and England would probably be better off looking elsewhere even if the alternatives aren't that flash. If only there was some experienced batsman floating around the English scene with a strong game against pace and proven ability to rise to the occasion, who England could call on as a short term replacement for a struggling player like Ballance...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't get the Ali hate tbh. Think he's bowled reasonably and his batting down the order is more than very handy. Yesterday's dismissal showed he mustn't be moved up the order too high.

I'd be tempted to move Stokes up the order to four and let him have a license to play the way he has been at six, and move Root to three. Yeah it weakens a strength, but Bell ATM is doing bugger all at four and Ballance is a walking wicket at three. If he's to stay in the side, I'd change the order around a bit:

Cook
Lyth
Root
Stokes
Bell
Ballance
{keep the rest the same}

Might be deck chairs on the titanic type of stuff, but I like Stokes' mojo and reckon if he comes off up the order he could set Australia back on their heels a bit.

Can't say I'm too familiar with a lot of the alternatives to the incumbents who are playing fc cricket atm.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I definitely think Ballance is the weakest batsman in the side but I don't think they can quite drop him yet.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't get the Ali hate tbh. Think he's bowled reasonably and his batting down the order is more than very handy. Yesterday's dismissal showed he mustn't be moved up the order too high.

I'd be tempted to move Stokes up the order to four and let him have a license to play the way he has been at six, and move Root to three. Yeah it weakens a strength, but Bell ATM is doing bugger all at four and Ballance is a walking wicket at three. If he's to stay in the side, I'd change the order around a bit:

Cook
Lyth
Root
Stokes
Bell
Ballance
{keep the rest the same}

Might be deck chairs on the titanic type of stuff, but I like Stokes' mojo and reckon if he comes off up the order he could set Australia back on their heels a bit.

Can't say I'm too familiar with a lot of the alternatives to the incumbents who are playing fc cricket atm.
It may well be deckchairs on the Titanic but the reality seems to be that, Bairstow aside (and he comes with a massive asterisk), the cupboard is pretty bare unless they punt on talent (e.g. Hales) or go for a left field pick

As much as I don't rate Ballance or Lyth, I'd stick with the same blokes as the alternative might be to start with considering 1 change and end up making plenty more as a knee-jerk

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

Are the locals truly complaining about the dust bowl pitches? I'm not sure what the answer is for England, but I don't think making faster pitches will keep the fans happy either.
Although it would be more entertaining cricket

morgieb

Are the locals truly complaining about the dust bowl pitches? I'm not sure what the answer is for England, but I don't think making faster pitches will keep the fans happy either.
Although it would be more entertaining cricket
I'd look at slow greentops. Unless it's gonna be cloudy all 5 days having slow and flat pitches for England nullifies them as much as us.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cardiff was just about the perfect pitch for England. Slow and low, but with just enough sideways movement on all 4 days to always give the bowlers a sniff.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Matt Machan IMO.
Averaging mid-40s at a good strike rate this season and generally looks good doing it, bowls jammy offies, and is a fan of greyhound racing.

The Battlers Prince

All the English quicks looked potent in Wales, but what do the Pommy batsmen need? More talent, or do they have if in them on dust bowls. In the Caribbean they weren't assured of themselves either

Last edited:

morgieb

Matt Machan IMO.
Averaging mid-40s at a good strike rate this season and generally looks good doing it, bowls jammy offies, and is a fan of greyhound racing.

Mark Waugh had a mullet? Jesus. Now I realise he played 128 Tests too many.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Westley as the left field selection. He only just scored a ton opening against the Australians including Starc and Hazlewood!

Gotta be better than Bell. Ol' vole features can **** off.