• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He is a Test bowler.

This is fun isn't it, making definitive statements that are opinions?
I'm not interested in the "opinion as fact" discussion. If I, or anyone else, say someone's not a Test bowler it can only be an opinion and doesn't need to be specifically presented as such.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has got an awful lot of work to do, even his biggest supporters know that but all those that want a 'proper' spinner can't name one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually don't think I'd make any changes. That's not to say England don't have problems, but I'm not a fan of punitive droppings for poor performance; the replacements have to actually be likely to do better to make changes a good idea. I see no sense in dropping Ballance for Bairstow unless Bairstow has made serious adjustments as they both have glaring technical weaknesses but the former scores Test runs when they're not exploited while the latter has never done so.

grecian

He has got an awful lot of work to do, even his biggest supporters know that but all those that want a 'proper' spinner can't name one.
Indeed, but he puts revs on the ball, so is a wicket-taking option, he's done it throughout his Test career, get's top quality bats out. He does bowl too many four-balls though I'll freely admit.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Of course they can't, because there isn't one available. That's why I said in my first post on the subject that certain players shouldn't be in the Test side but there's no one else deserving to take their place.

Pothas

I would be keeping Lyth for that very reason. On Bairstow you would hope that the selectors would be able to answer that, he has always been good at first class level but not quite this good, he is not far off demanding selection at this point.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Sam Robson also got a century but he got dropped as well.

Realistically how many potential test openers are left in county cricket that hasn't failed as cook's partner? There has been so many already.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Of course they can't, because there isn't one available. That's why I said in my first post on the subject that certain players shouldn't be in the Test side but there's no one else deserving to take their place.
i.e. 'didn't have anything to say, just felt like having a moan'

Someone should be in the side if they are the best player available to be there.. The only possible reason someone shouldn't be in the side is if there's someone else who should be.

Sounds like what you meant to say was 'i would like the team to be better'

Gob

International Coach
I actually don't think I'd make any changes. That's not to say England don't have problems, but I'm not a fan of punitive droppings for poor performance; the replacements have to actually be likely to do better to make changes a good idea. I see no sense in dropping Ballance for Bairstow unless Bairstow has made serious adjustments as they both have glaring technical weaknesses but the former scores Test runs when they're not exploited while the latter has never done so.
Never rated Bairstool very highly but Ballance is just flat out dire. I actually cant think of a worst 'looking' top order batsman in recent times its like having a cardboard cut out in front of the stumps. Bairstool will at least play some shots

would send Bell at 3 by telling him get runs or get ****ed.i would play

Cook
Lyth
Bell
Root
Stokes
Moeen
Alfred

Compton

International Debutant
There's no chance Bell is dropped. Lyth looks the most likely, largely because his dismissals have been down to technique and he doesn't have the credit in the bank that the other pair (Bell particularly) do.

Bring in Compton for Lyth and switch Root and Ballance in the order.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What credit does Bell have in the bank? He's done ****all for ages. In fact, Lyth actually got a hundred a couple of tests ago, against a very good attack, so if anything he's the one who's got some credit left.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
i.e. 'didn't have anything to say, just felt like having a moan'

Someone should be in the side if they are the best player available to be there.. The only possible reason someone shouldn't be in the side is if there's someone else who should be.

Sounds like what you meant to say was 'i would like the team to be better'
Nope. I said exactly what I meant to say based on the discussion about changes for the next Test.

grecian

Never rated Bairstool very highly but Ballance is just flat out dire. I actually cant think of a worst 'looking' top order batsman in recent times its like having a cardboard cut out in front of the stumps. Bairstool will at least play some shots

would send Bell at 3 by telling him get runs or get ****ed.i would play

Cook
Lyth
Bell
Root
Stokes
Moeen
Alfred
I think Bell at 3 isn't the worse idea, I mean my dislike for putting Root there is the ol' "if it ain't broke don't fix it" argument, but with Bell it does seem a little broke ATM. I want Compo in though, just think Lyth looks so unlike a Test batsman at this moment in time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
22 test centuries
Surely all that credit has been exhausted in the last 43 tests in the last 3 years where he's averaged a wonderful 34.3 (Also 28.6 in the last 20 tests). If this isn't droppable I don't know what is. You don't wait for him to become a complete tailender.

Pothas

Bell has always been rubbish at 3 or 4, he has been very good at 5 or 6. If we keep the same side him and Root need to swap. If Bairstow comes in for Ballance that kind of complicates things.

harsh.ag

Yeah Bell has always been rubbish at 3 or 4. If we keep the same side him and Root need to swap. If Bairstow comes in for Ballance that kind of complicates things.
Seconded. Just saying Bell is a senior player and should therefore play at 4 is not good enough

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What credit does Bell have in the bank? He's done ****all for ages. In fact, Lyth actually got a hundred a couple of tests ago, against a very good attack, so if anything he's the one who's got some credit left.
The 2013 Ashes. Which proves he can score runs at home against a quality Aus attack, unless we think he's fallen off a cliff since, which admittedly could be the case. But that series is a huge banker because there's no one else we can bring in* who we know has the ability to get runs in a series like this, many, such as Bairstow have even had multiple chances and failed.

*Don't do it.