• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow with 5 tons in 7 championship matches this season simply has to come in. I think we are all of the same mind that he wouldn't be our first choice given his technique and past record but sheer weight of runs means he deserves the chance.

Given KP is currently not playing anything but hit and giggle how could you consider him?

Certain we won't make wholesale changes, just be Bairstow for Ballance with Root and Bell moving up a place in the order. Maybe Foottit to get a serious look at given he is different to what we have, not sure about him either though.
Bell at 3 does not really seem an option right now though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Should definitely pick Bairstow for someone. Lyth is the first one I'd drop but then someone else has to open.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I remember Bairstows batting being a horrid liability. Doubt the Aussies would be fazed by his inclusion.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bell and Ballance have to go. Bell is horribly out of confidence and Ballance is just plain dire.

Only question is who to bring in at 3....I suspect Bairstow would be next in line, but after that.....perhaps England go funky and pick Moeen at 3?

harsh.ag

Ballance got such a snorter today. England didn't lose because of their batting blues, they lost it in the head. Ballance is the only one who isn't good enough as of now, and Bairstow ain't gonna fix that. Though he may score more runs.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Moeen yes. He's bowling a hell of lot but doesn't look dangerous and is too expensive. I don't think Wood is a Test bowler either yet, but there's sod all to replace him with.
Honestly thought he's bowling somewhat decent. People always think that if the quicks are doing ****-all the spinner should be reaping the wickets but the pitch was **** for spinners for the majority of the match really. Also hard to exert pressure when you haven't got the runs on the board or the quicks to exert pressure with.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread is harsh on Ballance tbh. He got vital runs in the first test and the delivery that got him in the first innings stayed pretty low. He looks pretty bad I agree but if anyone's got to go, it's Bell. He's been atrocious for ages.

Last edited:

grecian

Honestly thought he's bowling somewhat decent. People always think that if the quicks are doing ****-all the spinner should be reaping the wickets but the pitch was **** for spinners for the majority of the match really. Also hard to exert pressure when you haven't got the runs on the board or the quicks to exert pressure with.
Moeen bashing is the in thing, I obviously am a fan, but to say he deserves dropping after playing a pivotal role in the last Test win seems harsh, but ho-hum. As you say not like he did much worse than our other bowlers.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Moeen bashing is the in thing, I obviously am a fan, but to say he deserves dropping after playing a pivotal role in the last Test win seems harsh, but ho-hum. As you say not like he did much worse than our other bowlers.
He's just not a Test bowler.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Nah, I definitely do think he needs to be more consistent before I consider him a full-time test spinner. I think he definitely has the tools to be a pretty good one though. He's like between part-timer and full-timer to me.

Absolutely lethal to left-handed batsmen for whatever reason.