• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He wasn't going to score any runs ffs. Attacking cricket /= keeping players who are failing.

Keeping Ballance in longer could have done long term damage. He needed putting out if his misery.

100% correct decision and right replacement.
He did score runs in the first test though, didn't he? I agree his technique is quite awful, but he made some important runs despite that and got one that stayed unnaturally low in the 2nd test. A bit unlucky imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He did score runs in the first test though, didn't he? I agree his technique is quite awful, but he made some important runs despite that and got one that stayed unnaturally low in the 2nd test. A bit unlucky imo.
I like the guy. It's best for his future that he doesn't play any further in this series. Yes he did score some runs but no I don't believe he was going to score anymore. He just looks shot to pieces. Bopara in 09, that's who he reminds me of.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's unfortunate, especially since he was placed at 3 when totally unsuited while Bairstow gets to come in at 6. But given the reshuffle I'm fairly indifferent between the two.

Compton

International Debutant
Ballance forced to move from 5 to 3 to play for England, yet they'll re-jig the order to accommodate Bairstow?

Strange.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ballance just batted at 3 because they thought he was most similar to Trott. That's pretty much the only reason IMO.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What annoys me though is Ballance will be pigeon holed as a 3 now. Next time there's a vacancy at 5 or 6 people will say he can't come in because he's a 3.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Remember when Pietersen was a doubt for OT 2 years ago? There was debate about who to bring in as cover, and Boycott said no Compton because he's an opener* despite the fact Comp had played most of his stuff for Somerset at 3 or lower. Might be rare but it definitely happens to an extent.

*he therefore suggested Chopra, you know, the guy who opens in every format for his county, the idjit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He wasn't going to score any runs ffs. Attacking cricket /= keeping players who are failing.

Keeping Ballance in longer could have done long term damage. He needed putting out if his misery.

100% correct decision and right replacement.
Yup, and the one batsman who wasn't being brave/positive is the one who has been dropped.

The guy is below Test cricket levels at the moment. Like, a long way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How can anyone be wahhhing about Ballance being dropped? He isn't close to what he was 12 months ago when he looked very good. Not just form-wise. He actually is a different player, the way he bats and therefore structures his innings is nothing like it was when he was scoring runs.

He's also embarrassing to watch. I don't need to see that crap technique at 2am.

Finally, he's ugly. get him off my TV.

Well done selectors.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup, and the one batsman who wasn't being brave/positive is the one who has been dropped.

The guy is below Test cricket levels at the moment. Like, a long way.
It'll be interesting to see whether he bounces back quickly at fc level because his technique literally looks Jimmy Anderson level at present

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
jono's XI:

Cook
Kraigg Brathwaite
hendrix
Kohli
George Worker
AB before he went bald
Shahid Afridi
Southee
Mitch McCleneghan