• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

91Jmay

International Coach
Thing going in our favour is I struggle to see either of these teams as good enough to string together two good performances in a row.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, SMarsh should play at 4 ahead of Clarke. Could see it happening too
Might be seen as a backwards step. As such it might be put off till after the Ashes when the lineup has to be rejigged anyway. It should be now because 4/5 makes less difference during a home summer being played on roads.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root, Bell and Lyth out to horror shots.

Cook out to to a freak catch.

Buttler refusing to review a stinker.

Australia had some luck as well.

England really should have gone past 300 here.
This is a recurring theme in the series because, frankly, both teams don't have very good batting line ups. It's just that simple.

Really don't agree with this talk about Starc and Hazelwood bowling poorly tbh. I frankly don't think here's been much between how they've bowled and how Anderson has. Broad's been easily the best bowler in the series thus far, in terms of consistency. But if you'd asked Clarke before Cardiff whether he'd take England only passing 400 once after three tests, he'd have taken it greedily, especially after Harris retired.

The fact is both sides really can't bat that well tbh, and more relevantly once one side gets on top in a match, the other doesn't have the skill or wherewithal to peg them back. Hence a close series with massive floggings in all three tests so far.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You are right with the basic point of neither side batting well but Starc really has bowled some rubbish, as he pretty much always has his entire Test career.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are right with the basic point of neither side batting well but Starc really has bowled some rubbish, as he pretty much always has his entire Test career.
Sure, but that's the price you buy him at. Have any of his spells been worse than what Anderson produced day one at Lord's?

I'm not suggesting he's bowled like the new Davo, but I really don't think he, or any other bowler, is Australia's problem.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Certainly not the main problem but poor bowling contributed at Cardiff, being bowled out in the first two sessions was obviously the reason they lost the last match but they did bowl pretty badly that day as well. Basically Australia have bowled notably worse than England in the two games that they have lost, that does not stop the batting being the main issue but it has played its part.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't think Australia have had a wicketless session

Bowling has been fine all things considered. It's not like you have Steyn on the bench

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Don't think Australia have had a wicketless session

Bowling has been fine all things considered. It's not like you have Steyn on the bench
I'm not advocating dropping Starc, mainly due to a lack of options (if Patto was fit I'd pick him in a heartbeat though) but to say that there's been few problems in the bowling is disingenuous.

Tangles

Edgbaston is a nice stadium and my seats had a great view. Probably not a bad seat in the house. Crowd had great atmosphere the whole 2 days I went. I thought the MJ stick went a little past ribbing to something meaner IMO but he didn't respond to it. I say this because some fans near me were genuinely ecstatic if he went for 4, bowled a bad ball or misfielded.

Tangles

There was a lot of people returning to their seats during overs. It was priceless when my American wife told them off for not knowing better.

91Jmay

International Coach
There was a lot of people returning to their seats during overs. It was priceless when my American wife told them off for not knowing better.
Yeah that is a ****ing annoying issue that I've come across a lot, domestic T20s are terrible for it. I swear some people watch about 6 overs.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I went to Brum and wow what a day! Caught the train from Runcorn at 9.00 and got into New Street at 10.20. Next day I flew off to Greece on holiday, can life get any better?????????????

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah mate, saw the amazing first morning session at Trent drank some Ouzo and have acquired the name locally of Pistoss!