• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin or Nevill

If Haddin is avaliable for 3rd Test, who should play...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adub

International Captain
Healy went a year too long and Gilly went a year too long I reckon. Hadds is already a good 6 months into his year too long I'd say. Good time to give Nev the gig full time and let him run with it. I've no doubt he'll give a good 6-7 years and someone like Whiteman will be perfectly placed to take over after that.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
say what you want about healy playing too long, one of his best ever and most important innings happened in late '98 at the gabba (first cricket game i ever watched) where he helped rescue australia from 5 for 100 or so with a century to drastically help their ashes campaign. got them off to the perfect start with that knock. happened within his last year of test cricket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The best argument for Healy playing on a year too long is really just that the guy waiting to replace him was Gilchrist honestly.

adub

International Captain
Exactly. Healy was solid enough compared to what had been before. But does anyone really think another year on the sidelines made what was to come better? It was pretty obvious Gilly was something very special.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There have been much better players who have done more for their country than Haddin to not get a proper farewell test. In the middle of a live Ashes series I'm not sure it would be the best decision to give him one.

Top_Cat

The best argument for Healy playing on a year too long is really just that the guy waiting to replace him was Gilchrist honestly.
Healy's career should have been over about this point. Instead he got two more tours and was only dropped once his batting really fell to bits. Possible maybe the selectors thought dropping Warne was enough of a bombshell for the team but, Gilchrist aside, he didn't have much competition anyway. The only guy in his league was probably Emery and he was past it too.

Ah look, it's easy to second-guess these things. Gilchrist was clearly the guy and it probably would have been perfect if he was given the Test job earlier but meh it worked out okay.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Healy was a ridiculously good keeper and a very handy batsman. It was a shame he went on slightly too long.

As you get into your 30s, it's difficult when you start to notice you can't do what you used to do automatically. :unsure::sleep:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It could mean the end of the 37-year-old's illustrious 66-Test international career.

But former Australian Test wicketkeeper Ian Healy is adamant Haddin should not lose his spot just yet.

"I think that's a harsh call on Brad Haddin," he told Fox Sports.

"I'd like him to have a chance to redeem his Cardiff performance and then maybe at the end of the series - or when he doesn't redeem himself - then we can move to Nevill.

"But the good thing is we know our next position as a wicketkeeper is all set."
"when he doesn't redeem himself". Lol

adub

International Captain
It's not like Cardiff was Rad's first less than top shelf performance. He would have played at Lords if not for his little one, but now that Nev has the spot and done well you have to argue that Haddin would do better to give it to him otherwise you're simply not picking the best team. BIt hard to argue that on recent performances.

I really think judging by the way Haddin went about his work in Derby that he is completely ok with where he is. He knows he's lost the spot, but will do everything he can to help Nev and be there to fill in if he gets injured and anything else he can to help Australia retain the Ashes. As I've said before I reckon that's a pretty classy way to end a good career.

Riggins

International Captain
nevs not as good as a lot of people here give him credit for, but he's pretty solid and at this stage of his career has the wood over haddin.

91Jmay

International Coach
No idea how this can be even a debate. Haddin is shot and Nevill looked impressive at Lords. With the bat he looked organised, and whilst perhaps not as able to bludgeon England as Haddin has he looked a more consistent batsmen for me. Really impressed with the gloves as well.

Spikey

"We've made the call to stick with the same XI that played at Lord's and we were hoping we were able to do this," Marsh said. "Obviously we had to wait on Chris Rogers but we decided that Nevill had such a good game at Lord's, the team played that well, won by 405 runs, it was very hard to change a winning side."

God, i hope they didn't make this choice based on the worst selection philosophy ever. please be small talk or a lie or something