• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin or Nevill

If Haddin is avaliable for 3rd Test, who should play...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adub

International Captain
Going back to Rad for the 13 Ashes made plenty of sense and paid off. Going back to him for 15 Ashes after Nev has shown he's ready makes none and we'll very likely pay a price if we do.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shouldn't really be an item of discussion as Nevill is the incumbent and performed really well in the last test

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Shouldn't really be an item of discussion as Nevill is the incumbent and performed really well in the last test
I guess I'm wondering if he was the stand in and Rad still the incumbent in selectors minds. A lot depends on details we don't really know around the last match.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get the feeling that the selectors unofficially know that Nev will keep his spot, but just leaving the door open for Hads officially. So Nev will play.

Except I thought the same thing about M Marsh in the first Tests and they still picked Watson

Top_Cat

Haddin's incumbency should be on a very short leash for mine. **** what he did with the bat (bad enough), his keeping ain't going to get better and he was never an awesome gloveman to begin with.

tedsheppard

Cricket Spectator
Haddin.

Was never dropped so will get his spot back but one more failure in a losing cause would probably see him off. Was never a fan. Didn't think he was any better than Ryan Campbell.
yes true but ryan harris wasn't dropped just injured and he supposedly was not going to play the first test

turnstyle

State 12th Man
yes true but ryan harris wasn't dropped just injured and he supposedly was not going to play the first test
Nah, that was all pre-Ashes bull****. It was always going to be Rhino/Haze/Johnson.

Not saying it's the right decision but Hadds will play. It'll be interesting when he fails again though.

Spark

Global Moderator
What? It was confirmed in all but explicit terms by multiple people that Harris wouldn't have played.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
What? It was confirmed in all but explicit terms by multiple people that Harris wouldn't have played.
Oh, I thought he was a lock for the first test if he was fit, but I was away for patches of the build up to the first test so am probably wrong.

Uppercut

Really interesting how at odds CW is with the media on this. How come every ex-player seems almost disgusted by any suggestion of dropping Haddin, but his only backers here are avid England fans? Are there many dissenters in Australia?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Haddin's understandably popular among those who consider the barometer for success to only be playing England in Australia

TheJediBrah

Really interesting how at odds CW is with the media on this. How come every ex-player seems almost disgusted by any suggestion of dropping Haddin, but his only backers here are avid England fans? Are there many dissenters in Australia?
The vast majority of supporters are advocating Nevill

Haddin is only being supported by his mates who are either blinded by their proximity or know that he's worse but just don't give a **** and want him to play regardless

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
So he wasn't available for Lords but is now? What changed?

If the alternative was still Wade then the reaction would be different IMO. But Nev is better with the bat and no worse with the gloves. Less spectacular but more consistent.

adub

International Captain
Certainly good new for the Haddin family. He should still miss the next test and every other test on tour unless Nev picks up an injury that prevents him playing though. It's time. Hadds sending Nev champers was classy stuff and he deserves a dignified finish, but many better players than Haddin didn't get to call time on their own careers, going out through injury or dropping. Handing his position over due to a family issue as he has and staying on as understudy to support a good mate and a guy he's mentored is a pretty dignified way to end up I reckon, and it's one Rad should take.

Top_Cat

Same happened with Healy. Despite Heals clearly being on the wane and Gilchrist being in waiting for what seemed like forever, there were many who seriously agreed with Healy wanting a farewell 'Gabba Test with retirement immediately after. Keepers are the heart of the team so I guess people are loathe to let go of that too easily. In fairness, this was proven again when the selectors correctly picked Gilchrist who went on to have one of the best debut seasons of any player ever.

Ian who?

Last edited: