• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's Ashes XI

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
actually i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Slater's omission is the biggest travesty in this whole thing. Literally only Steve and Ricky have scored more ashes tons than Slats during the last 30 years and they played 45 and 35 matches to Slater's 20. Ridic

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
actually i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Slater's omission is the biggest travesty in this whole thing. Literally only Steve and Ricky have scored more ashes tons than Slats during the last 30 years and they played 45 and 35 matches to Slater's 20. Ridic
Two of his best series' were pre Punter though, weren't they?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah 630 @ 37.06 for Slater in series Ponting played in. 3 tons in 9 tests. Pretty decent but not that special. Also he only played in two Ashes series Ponting appeared in and the last one was 2001, which was the end of Slater's career. 5th test of that series was the beginning of Hayden/Langer.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah 630 @ 37.06 for Slater in series Ponting played in. 3 tons in 9 tests. Pretty decent but not that special. Also he only played in two Ashes series Ponting appeared in and the last one was 2001, which was the end of Slater's career. 5th test of that series was the beginning of Hayden/Langer.
Don't disagree, but they had a poll on the Cricinfo website running with this and they gave Taylor as an option, but not Slater. Taylor and Ponting played 6 Ashes tests together, Tubby scoring 375 @ 34.09.

I'd have Slater opening in 'last 25 years' XI, or somesuch.