• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's Ashes XI

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook's 2010-11 series here and Flintoff's 05 series in England were so influential they probably warranted inclusion tbh. As has been said, Vaughan's series out here against the attack which he faced was brilliant as well.

Burgey

Worst bowler to take 300 test wickets. Travesty he got to ring the bell at Lord's yesterday.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Aside from the fact that it should have Ponting in it it's a pretty good list I think. You could pick Langer over Cook (after bringing in Ponting) for playing well in more series, but you can make a good case for Cook simply because he was so important to England winning in Australia for the first time in 20+ years. Stuart Clark for his role in the whitewash is the other one series wonder I think warrants some thought, but I think I'd keep the list as is and swap in Ponting for Langer.

TheJediBrah

1. He was never going to put himself in the 11
2. Gillespie is ahead of Anderson as a bowler alone regardless

edit: Good point about Stuart Clark. Probably unlucky to miss out looking at the stats.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ponting is a fair enough exclusion actually. Bloke's Ashes record isn't actually that good when you consider the team and era he played in.

Gob

International Coach
Ponting is a fair enough exclusion actually. Bloke's Ashes record isn't actually that good when you consider the team and era he played in.
Poontang had ups and downs.IIRC

97-Very good. Came halfway through the series and got his first ton
98/99-Bad. Returning from an injury i think and lost his place halfway through
01-Started off poorly before tonning up at Leeds and was the start of that purple patch
02/03-Going nicely now. Two tons
05-Below par despite the 156. Threw away few starts and of course Garry Pratt
06/07-God
09-Decent though in decline.Played one of my all time favorite knocks in Leeds
10/11-****

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
where's Ramprakash? Stellar Ashes record, 6 fifities, a ton and averages 15 bloody runs higher against Australia than his career average. Australian bowlers didn't know what to do with him. Bowler would put one outside his off stump and he'd slash it through point and ask for another. Then the bowler would pitch one up and he'd drive it back past him for four and tell him to go fetch. IMO if Ramprakash got his recall like he was meant to back in 09 or whatever he would have scored 500 runs that series. Aussies were his bunnies

on a more serious note, Slater with 7 ashes tons should feel a bit hard done by

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

where's Ramprakash? Stellar Ashes record, 6 fifities, a ton and averages 15 bloody runs higher against Australia than his career average. Australian bowlers didn't know what to do with him. Bowler would put one outside his off stump and he'd slash it through point and ask for another. Then the bowler would pitch one up and he'd drive it back past him for four and tell him to go fetch. IMO if Ramprakash got his recall like he was meant to back in 09 or whatever he would have scored 500 runs that series. Aussies were his bunnies

on a more serious note, Slater with 7 ashes tons should feel a bit hard done by
I can imagine him and Ponting not being best mates